Quad Transfer 660

thompsoncustom

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was just thinking it shouldn't be to hard to cut into the transfers from the outside and insert a aluminum divider then weld it in place. Just wondering if anyone had ever tired this before.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was just thinking it shouldn't be to hard to cut into the transfers from the outside and insert an aluminum divider then weld it in place. Just wondering if anyone had ever tired this before.
Tree monkey did 15-20 years ago. He used steel so the rings could ride on it. I don’t know which thread it’s in

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
12:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been wanting to do this for years. I even have the epoxy. LOL.

Definitely do it!

thompsoncustom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tree monkey did 15-20 years ago. He used steel so the rings could ride on it. I don’t know which thread it’s in
Hmm I'll have to see if I can find it.

I’ve been wanting to do this for years. I even have the epoxy. LOL.

Definitely do it!
I got a junk 660 cylinder laying here I might play around with welding on and see how it goes.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem is that you’re not accomplishing much with the work.

Multiple small transfers give you speed and volume. They generally have more transfer area than a dual port, and the velocity remains high because each individual port is smaller and tighter. Granted, you could add direction and change timing with a divider.

You need that little area of plating between the ports. One could conceivably weld up a jug, carve new ports, bore it out, and then send it out for replating.

TreeMonkey did some smart innovative stuff. It’s smart that he used steel as a surface for the rings to be held steady on. Has to be a reason he never did it again.

If you do try it, please report back your findings.

thompsoncustom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem is that you’re not accomplishing much with the work.

Multiple small transfers give you speed and volume. They generally have more transfer area than a dual port, and the velocity remains high because each individual port is smaller and tighter. Granted, you could add direction and change timing with a divider.

You need that little area of plating between the ports. One could conceivably weld up a jug, carve new ports, bore it out, and then send it out for replating.

TreeMonkey did some smart innovative stuff. It’s smart that he used steel as a surface for the rings to be held steady on. Has to be a reason he never did it again.

If you do try it, please report back your findings.
The increased area was not something I consider was only thinking about the increased velocity and angles but I suppose if you needed more area after raising the transfer than could be widen and even welded on the outside if needed.

If it's something I try it would be much more redneck than making new ports and having it replated I would just cut the transfers and add a piece of aluminum in there that was thick enough that I could grind angles on it and weld it up.

Like you said tho if treemonkey tired it and never did it again than its probably not worth doing, couldn't find a thread where he did it just that he mentioned that it worked.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
12:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My half baked plan was to cut a slot at my desired angle, fit a thin divider wall, epoxy it into place. Then add more epoxy externally, grind the sides of the tunnels to add the extra volume. Mostly on the intake side. You do need extra. Duals flow more in the same port area as duals, just more weakly and with less direction.
Welding extra meat to the outside would also work but you risk a lot of warping, poor bead penetration etc.

Another option would be to machine tunnel covers.
You might even be able to use something that exists, like a 372XT cover.