Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
9:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Studs,

Which makes better firewood...I've got access to both.
The white oak is already seasoned (almost 2 yrs) & in MONSTER :eeek:sized rounds, the post oak was just felled and cut into rounds about a week ago.

Thanks,
Reg

yeah have em both good burning in years too come over here white oak is better our pin oak it Tends to suffer from ring shake but not all bad
When you got monster rings like tractor rims they’ll split better

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been shopping around for a decent winch. How has your Badland performed? Is there any advantages to rear vs front mounting of the winch. Looks like Harbor Freight has good prices on them. I could stand some of those log tongs "right now!" Farmers Co-Op was out & Tractor Supply had flimsy ones! :( BTW...are those tongs you're using yet available/can be found?
I’m 64, the guy I bought them from was older than me and said the logging tongs were his grandfather’s and he used them with horse and oxen teams. I imagine a set can still be found but these are definitely OLD school. The winch works great, only 2 complaints is I wish it had more cable length and since I’m impatient it seems slow. I mounted it to a heavy set up that I can remove from the receiver and run it from a heavy duty deep cycle battery.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are post and pin oak one in the same?
If so I call it pin, regional maybe.
I've dried big split whites in a year in good conditions but two usually.

Gonna sneak over Beaver County and borrow that trailer and hooks. Kidding, great set up and gives me ideas for setting up the new tractor.
That does look like the trailer I need though.
If you bought it new, where may I ask?
I bought the trailer in Ohio directly from Appalachian Trailer, should be close for you too. Same price as the garbage sold at the big box stores but better deck and 3000 pound axle instead of 1800, led lights built in. Also if you have someone go with you to pick it up and “your friend is picking it up”, you don’t pay OH sales tax. I also mounted a fair lead on the tongue end on the top rail to guide the winch cable when trailer loading. You do kinda have to watch the cable when spooling.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m 64, the guy I bought them from was older than me and said the logging tongs were his grandfather’s and he used them with horse and oxen teams. I imagine a set can still be found but these are definitely OLD school. The winch works great, only 2 complaints is I wish it had more cable length and since I’m impatient it seems slow. I mounted it to a heavy set up that I can remove from the receiver and run it from a heavy duty deep cycle battery.
Appreciate it!
I can see where the winch is a back saver, especially since I seem hopelessly, "called" to noodle massive rounds with little or no help. lol

Last edited:

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
4:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are post and pin oak one in the same?
If so I call it pin, regional maybe.
I've dried big split whites in a year in good conditions but two usually.

No, pin oak and post oak are not one in the same, not even close imo. Pin oak is of the red oak family, post oak is of the white oak family. The leaves are different, the bark is different, the acorns are different; they even smell different---pin oak stinks (not to me but most people), post oak smells delicious. They are both excellent for firewood though.

Vice

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The red oak in New Hampshire takes an easy 2-3 years to put out its best BTUs, we don’t have much white oak which is too bad because I love building with it. if I can I split it where I cut it so I’m not handling it any more than I have to. I like to cut oak in the winter when the ground is frozen but there’s no snow so I can split the pieces on the ground with a maul, frozen oak splits awesome!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree. I think wood in general splits easier green than seasoned. Just me and my experiences.

Vice

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I agree. I think wood in general splits easier green than seasoned. Just me and my experiences.
Birch splits much harder frozen and sometimes even just green because it’s so stringy, our swamp maple is the same way. Even with a splitter your pulling it off the blade. I’ve left chunks to rot just because it’s was to much of a pain.

Vice

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We are getting some boring grub that feasts on oak, I don’t see it other woods. If the oak is wet or has its bark on it, it will be loaded. I’m kind of doing a bit of an experiment with a dozen or so oak logs that were going to be turned into firewood. I covered them in a tarp for the last two years and I’m hoping to process them on the mill for furniture lumber. People go crazy for wood that has some kind of tooling, or better natural patterns in it. I’ve got some secret sauce to help start spalting birch, cherry, beach, maple. I did wreck some really nice butternut logs that ended up barely good for fire wood. A coastline mistake

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't you mill the logs green, then place on flat surface to dry?
1 year per 1 inch thickness, as a general rule?

Vice

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Don't you mill the logs green, then place on flat surface to dry?
1 year per 1 inch thickness, as a general rule?
If it’s going to be a finer grade lumber it’s better to mill sooner than later to prevent checking. If it’s just going to be sheathing out of pine it doesn’t matter but still better to do it green and stick it to dry. The slower it cures the better but if you seal the edges you can speed it up. In Latvia my grandfather would build furniture out of dead standing oak or an other wood that I never identified in his broken English. He also would damage the bark(sap logging) I think he called it on pine and spruce. The tree would think it’s getting invaded by insects or something and lose its sugars and produce massive amounts of sap. He would put posts in the ground that would last dozen of years. Eastern Hemlock is a great wood for siding or decks but you need to install it green as it gets so hard as it dries. It’s beautiful wood to carve but I can become a little unstable like fur and splinter if you hit the grain wrong. Most guys pulp it or mill it into beams

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. Good deal..[emoji106]