High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

poison ivy wash

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you cutters use to wash down with after dealing with ivy infested trees?

If I could find the guy that's not allergic, I'd hire him.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
5:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tecnu ? Can't remember the exact spelling. But it works well. Some heavy duty shop rags in a tube have a oil removal agent. They can work in a pinch. Know a guy who uses brake cleaner......... Says it's the fastest and best... Don't know if I'd try it but old timer swears by it.

Steven

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I really have no worries about Poison Ivy even though I encounter it at least weekly. Treat it like it’s invisible grease because that’s really what it is. I’ve had good luck with orange oil based mechanics wipes available at every auto parts store/gas station. The other thing that works great is hand sanitizer (finally it has a legitimate use) the alcohol actually breaks down the active irritant (urushiol) in poison Ivy.

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with Steven Tecnu works wonders. Dawn works good for after you already have it but Tecnu as soon as you can after being exposed works really well to keep from getting it.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
20220826_103008.jpg

I keep these behind the seat of the trucks on the regular. But I tried what Prince Harry uses and that seemed to work too.

If you don't get it soon enough and you get the rash the tecnu scrub/spray seems to help with the sting/itch.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I really have no worries about Poison Ivy even though I encounter it at least weekly. Treat it like it’s invisible grease because that’s really what it is. I’ve had good luck with orange oil based mechanics wipes available at every auto parts store/gas station. The other thing that works great is hand sanitizer (finally it has a legitimate use) the alcohol actually breaks down the active irritant (urushiol) in poison Ivy.

Royal Blood is no recipient of thy poison rash.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have 90% isopropyl in a spray bottle to clean tools and arms/hands, but it doesn't seem to matter how much I clean I still get it. I just had to get a script for prednisone to knock down my latest bought with the leaves of three.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys. Good news is, a lot of that mess is Virg. creeper but theres poison lurking in there too.

Got it mostly cut to the butt and dragged whole sections to where I can burn.

I'm done cutting for today. Next shift I plan to parbuckle the log out of the PO mess and cut it up.

Large dead white pine, over the property line.
Want some? lol

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stay out of the smoke if you’re burning poison ivy. It will F U Up!
As a boy I ran back and forth thru the smoke from a burn pile and developed the worst case of the rash I’ve ever had/seen. Every inch of exposed skin, my mouth, throat and lungs were involved as well. Missed a bunch of school. Like three weeks I think.
I remember the skin on my arms being one huge blister , I could push the water around under it. I don’t remember any other thing about it other than not to do that EVER again.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was just thinking back on that again. My mom took me to the base hospital and set me down with a couple other kids who were there too all waiting to see the Dr. A nurse came out and picked me out and shuffled me to isolation because she thought I might be contagious with the mumps. The sides of my face was so swollen that they both sagged down and I guess made her think it best to isolate me. Not sure how my mom handled it. Now , that’s all I remember.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a boy I ran back and forth thru the smoke from a burn pile and developed the worst case of the rash I’ve ever had/seen. Every inch of exposed skin, my mouth, throat and lungs were involved as well. Missed a bunch of school. Like three weeks I think.
I remember the skin on my arms being one huge blister , I could push the water around under it. I don’t remember any other thing about it other than not to do that EVER again.
Yep. Put me in the hospital. Same.

as far as getting the oil off I’ve always used whatever soap I can find to get the sticky off ASAP. I’ve had good luck with dawn or gojo/goop hand cleaner. I wash 2-3 times immediately after I handle the filth bush. If it feels sticky you haven’t gotten it off. Seems like if I get the sticky sap like oil off pronto I don’t get the rash. I still don’t go out of my way to play with it though. Usually get it a couple times a year because I don’t always realize it’s on me

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I have 90% isopropyl in a spray bottle to clean tools and arms/hands, but it doesn't seem to matter how much I clean I still get it. I just had to get a script for prednisone to knock down my latest bought with the leaves of three.
Sounds like a legit allergy to PI.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I think one of the worst cases I ever had was in the winter, I never knew up to that point it could happen, I always thought it was a warm weather thing.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to get it terrible, prednisone once a season usually when id get it particularly bad. I started taking oral ivy, basically a bit of poison ivy dissolved in alcohol. A few drops in a glass of water every morning. Did that for a couple years. I havent had even a moderate reaction since then, and im outside and encounter poison ivy basically every day.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I'm immune to it but my dearly departed was not .Unlike like my rhino hide Dar had that soft ivory skin who could get a reaction to English ivy .If I worked in the woods I'd strip down in the garage and stick the clothes into the washing machine in my shorts so she did not come in contact with them .I also had a bar of Fels -Naptha I washed up with .This is the stuff my mother tried to wash my mouth out with as a child but it back fired on her because I got to liking the taste of it .It got so bad I could blow bubbles every time I passed gas .