Picked up a couple raker grinders Silvey and zeigelmeyer

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a dg6 , saves me so much time. 85 chains done last Thur, one customer. The dg 6 is a clone of the Silvey unit the direction of chain travel is opposite that of the Silvey.

Last edited:

Jodastrem

Active OPE Member
Local time
1:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yes you can take almost any chain grinder and adjust the tooth keeper to a raker keeper distance.
So when you move your tooth to the keeper, from right to left, set your wheel so that the disk is above the raker in a parallel way. So when you lower the grinding disk down it will hit the raker instead of the tooth topplate. I grind at mine just to the tip of about 0,2mm or more depends on the wood family i engage with it next time i use the chain.

I did that out of boredome one day and it works flawless!
Chepo Oregon grinder clone for 80$ does 2 jobs.
grinding down topplates and rakers.
you have to maybe exchange the stoper bolt to a longer bolt so you can adjust the deepth grind away precisly.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yes you can take almost any chain grinder and adjust the tooth keeper to a raker keeper distance.
So when you move your tooth to the keeper, from right to left, set your wheel so that the disk is above the raker in a parallel way. So when you lower the grinding disk down it will hit the raker instead of the tooth topplate. I grind at mine just to the tip of about 0,2mm or more depends on the wood family i engage with it next time i use the chain.

you have to maybe exchange the stoper bolt to a longer bolt so you can adjust the deepth grind away precisly.

Boredom yields brilliance!

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Got any pics of your operation?

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The thing with the old Silvey and the DG6 no clamping of each grind. just smooth pass as you crank the chain around. Ya at $1000 its not particularly suited to the occasional use scenario. It is a bit of a hassle to change the tension adjustment for each length chain. For me that is not an issue as I generaly have a dozen or more at the same drive count at a time.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Frank, do these reference the cutting it’s grinding the raker for? Or is it dependent on the operator adjusting the depth of grind and then you turn the crank and all rakers are the same height? It would be nice to have a grinder that set the raker to the .025 or .030 for each tooth regardless of tooth length but have the quickness of the crank n grind like the silvey.

SimonHS

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought that the chain tooth lifts the grinding wheel up to clear the tooth and it then drops back down to the height of the chain body, grinding each raker to the same height?

Here's the DGG-6 in action:

This chap made one from scrap and a spare motor:

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought that the chain tooth lifts the grinding wheel up to clear the tooth and it then drops back down to the height of the chain body, grinding each raker to the same height?

Here's the DGG-6 in action:

This chap made one from scrap and a spare motor:

Shoot. I may be wrong. I thought it was indexed off of the tooth…giving each raker the same clearance for each tooth. The tooth is just used to raise the grinder head so the wheel does not grind the tooth.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Here is the silvey in action. Looks like you set the depth of the wheel and all rakers are the same.

Didn’t know if the ziggy was different.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Here is the silvey in action. Looks like you set the depth of the wheel and all rakers are the same.

Didn’t know if the ziggy was different.
Had a chance to take a hold look at the Ziggy. It is also made so each raker is ground from the same height off of the chain guide. Seeing how the zeiglemeyer works…I have an idea for a fairly easy way to make the raker height, referenced off of each cutter. I may turn this into a bit of a project.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are there any other raker grinders out there that don't cost $1000?
Hey Mark, I think it’s already been said but I use my Silvey 310 to lower rakers and to clean out gullets. With a 3/16” wheel (just started to use CBN) set the vise to the middle “0” position so the wheel is parallel to the chain and adjust so all will be the same. It won’t “flatten” the top of the raker, rather takes the inside corner off, but it’s effective. It’s quick too.