Operating temperature of a chainsaw

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When looking for Cylinder Base Gasket material for my Stihl 056 MAG II I got sidetracked on Temperature Ratings for different gasket materials. As a very uneducated guess I thought 300(F) plus might be close where the cylinder and case bolt together. Reading about gasket delete and Dirko Red I saw a temperature rating of 280 (C) and short duration of 315(C) Then I read other pertinent criteria such as: crush resistance, good for irregular surfaces, movement, densities, compatible with ???, and of course thickness I was wondering if anyone had any comments on this topic of "Operating temperatures of a chainsaw" (I pondered the thread topic to be Gasket Material but chose temperature because that is my real question) I realize that there are so many variables but what the Heah even if it is an old Mercury Two cylinder Two man or An Alcoholic Fueled Trophy Winner the answers could be interesting
If you are one to NOT let the truth get in the way of a good chuckle please feel free but you might clue in the gullible at the end of your post

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
6:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Um.. I just use dirko or 1184 if I delete a gasket. I get this gasket paper from napa and it works well too, thinner than oem base gaskets usually too. I also make my own exhaust gaskets too if I need one, but out of a different material that’s designed for it. 020969F9-AF7F-4D88-A574-FD91C6112CF3.jpeg

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was worried about the thinner paper raising the compression The 056 mag II doesn't have a compression release and I'm not 19 any more. I will probably try the Karropak on a saw to see how it does.. Comp and Starting Seeing that Karropak works well for you I will compare the temp rating Thanks for your input it puts my mind at ease.

KodiakForge

New OPE Member
Local time
3:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Um.. I just use dirko or 1184 if I delete a gasket. I get this gasket paper from napa and it works well too, thinner than oem base gaskets usually too. I also make my own exhaust gaskets too if I need one, but out of a different material that’s designed for it. View attachment 161895

I’m very interested what the gasket material is you use to make exhaust gaskets? Is it also found at Napa?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
6:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m very interested what the gasket material is you use to make exhaust gaskets? Is it also found at Napa?
@SOS Ridgerider gave it to me. I forget what it was called. I believe it’s sold at napa too if I’m not mistaken.