Oil Question

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the "New" ( For here ) Husqvarna XP synthetic an ester or paraffin based oil?
How about Stihl Ultra?

And if they are wax is there any other oil left that is ester based or a "semi" synthetic.

Saw a wax job today. Not pleased.

Benjo

Some Guy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the Euro "XP Synthetic" available in North America now? Or are you talking about the XP+ synthetic blend?

Stihl Ultra is ester, but I agree with the dreaded "oil threads" that it's kinda lousy...lots of deposits for me, and they were pretty hard/crusty. Echo Red Armor is also ester, and I prefer it or XP+ when I have a choice. I used about 15 gallons of the XP+ milling some big logs with a rebuilt 395 over several weekends right after it came out and Bob had it in stock. Piston looked great through plug hole and exhaust port, no build-up, plenty of sheen at 40:1.
H410-0805.png

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the "New" ( For here ) Husqvarna XP synthetic an ester or paraffin based oil?
How about Stihl Ultra?

And if they are wax is there any other oil left that is ester based or a "semi" synthetic.

Saw a wax job today. Not pleased.
Bel Ray H1r is 100% synthetic ester but it's bike oil so I don't know if it has any relevance here.

I don't normally post in oil threads...lol

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think Stihl Ultra has left a lot of people dissatisfied. I don't know what it's made of though.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bel Ray H1r is 100% synthetic ester but it's bike oil so I don't know if it has any relevance here.

Yup ran it from the time they introduced it until the chainsaw thing made me look to other sources. But I never was a fan of the wax oils...looks like they may have invaded my world again through my customers. Hoping Husqvarna isn't the culprit. Will have to undo all that 32:1 education and have them mix back at 50:1 to keep things clean. A real catch 22

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been running that husky oil at 40:1 I've been very pleased with it. However I'm making the switch to schaeffer 9000 since the husky is almost up.

@Redbull661 has some pretty nice pictures which I wish could be a closed sticky. That way it could be the same guy, same location, and pretty much the same saws. Just posting results letting people infer for themselves.

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think Stihl Ultra has left a lot of people dissatisfied. I don't know what it's made of though.
Headache gas. Yuck

Tested it for months. Went through three quarts. First oil I would reach for to race, if compatible with the fuel, or something you might beat the bearings out of like a ported oe 550 or like. Turned up this saw to 16k+ ms361. No issues in the wood pile or up a tree in 100* heat. Piston sustained virtually no wear on the skirts ends. 32-1 was too fat. 40-45 to 1 was much better on pump gas. Race fuel was not involved with that saw. Compression landed around 175. No machine work in the motor. Stock carb.
H1R is very good oil in a chainsaw imo ymmv