Official generator thread

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
6:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was given an old Briggs generator that won’t run. I am not familiar with these two needle carbs. It seemed to have good fire and I was able to get it to hit a couple times. Here’s a pic of a carb like it has. Any info would be appreciated or trouble shooting tips.
F06F3CCD-213E-4B62-B799-CC193D6879C4.jpeg

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was given an old Briggs generator that won’t run. I am not familiar with these two needle carbs. It seemed to have good fire and I was able to get it to hit a couple times. Here’s a pic of a carb like it has. Any info would be appreciated or trouble shooting tips.
View attachment 154216
Did you drain old gas out the fuel bowl and tank? My grandpa has an old one like that and iv had to dra8n old fuel and ran perfect.

If that dont work try spraying gas in carb to see if it fires. If so maybe clean carb.

Fuel shut off turned on?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you drain old gas out the fuel bowl and tank? My grandpa has an old one like that and iv had to dra8n old fuel and ran perfect.

If that dont work try spraying gas in carb to see if it fires. If so maybe clean carb.

Fuel shut off turned on?

Drained gas. Tried gas in plug hole and just back fired. Took carb off and cleaned. Now it’s flooding a lot. Maybe float? Tried to leave everything adjusted as it was but maybe I bent somthing.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Drained gas. Tried gas in plug hole and just back fired. Took carb off and cleaned. Now it’s flooding a lot. Maybe float? Tried to leave everything adjusted as it was but maybe I bent somthing.
Id check float, needle valve and seat if its floodimg bad.

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok. I did have that out for cleaning.

Thansk

B440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well i just upgraded my generator. All excited and cant wait to try it. Hoping this should run all i need and more.

What kind of generators do you run.
4be627d125ef40259c916d11e1dc75e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

I have the same one. Had it since approx. 2012. It does a good job. I once tried to run the washer and dryer. Washer wasn't happy and dryer popped the onboard breaker :)

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the same one. Had it since approx. 2012. It does a good job. I once tried to run the washer and dryer. Washer wasn't happy and dryer popped the onboard breaker :)
Intresting. I thought it would run a dryer no problem....

Grimmy

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Have a Yamaha EU2000 for my RC stuff that I take to the field to fly my helicopters. Nice and quiet and very portable. I take it in the woods with me some times if I'm splitting in warm weather.

Also has a Generac 22kw with automatic transfer switch, running off of LP, for the whole house I got within the last year and sure glad I did. Lost a phase from the utility company one cold night, but didn't know it cause the gen fired up right away. Wasn't till I was about to go to bed that I could hear something running and discovered there was a problem. Best money I've ever spent!

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Made a little " idle arm " for the generator so it can warm up and not have to start WOT. I used to sit ther and hold for couple mins and that sucked lol.
Made it with two steps so it can go to fast idle before it goes WOT.
d37e9169d1787fb7e854ae33040f0306.jpg

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 154216

That is the old 2 piece medium flojet carb. Upper right needle is idle mixture. Lower left is high speed. Original carbs had metal tipped needle. Some rebuild kits have viton tipped needle. You need to make sure the seat matches the needle or it will never seat properly. You can buy a new China carb on ebay for $15. Will need to modify the air cleaner. Search on Briggs medium flowjet. Rebuild kit runs around $10. Since you said you cleaned it you figured out how to separate it without breaking the fuel nozzle tube. Take out the high speed needle and use a flat blade to remove the nozzle tube then take the 4 screws out.

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is the old 2 piece medium flojet carb. Upper right needle is idle mixture. Lower left is high speed. Original carbs had metal tipped needle. Some rebuild kits have viton tipped needle. You need to make sure the seat matches the needle or it will never seat properly. You can buy a new China carb on ebay for $15. Will need to modify the air cleaner. Search on Briggs medium flowjet. Rebuild kit runs around $10. Since you said you cleaned it you figured out how to separate it without breaking the fuel nozzle tube. Take out the high speed needle and use a flat blade to remove the nozzle tube then take the 4 screws out.
Great info. Thanks

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Posted this in another thread, but here’s what I run. I bought this last summer during the fires but never ended up using it until last week when we lost power during a snow storm. I just turned off the power to the Water Heater and it ran everything else just fine (I didn’t use the Dryer or Oven either). It used about 1/2 gallon of gas per hour.

B44651D4-0522-4D69-8448-05C9616E3F40.jpeg

I also installed a dedicated 30 amp breaker and plug, and a safety interlock for added peace of mind, and code compliance.

D6467E52-9FCA-49EE-AD7B-E75AE7F1E994.jpeg 872D9077-F494-494A-AC77-684D849B639C.jpeg

My main panel is on an outbuilding 100 ft from the house, so noise isn’t too bad either.