High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

OEM versus aftermarket: which parts

59billy

Unknown OPE Member
Local time
6:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Generally, what parts do you insist on buying OEM?

Specifically, I think it's time to rebuild the clutch assembly on my 026. The cheap aftermarket parts worry me for some reason, but Stihl is pretty proud of their stuff.

Interested to see which parts people think need to be OEM. Share your wisdom!

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OEM cylinder, crankshaft, bearings, rubber parts(fuel lines etc.), seals, carburetors and ignition coils are crucial to a good high performance build.

AM plastics, handles, carburetor kits, rubber parts specifically made of Dupont Viton, good hi performance pistons such as Meteor, CCC Wiseco and Duke's hi performance coated pistons, odd hardware bits and pieces.

Walking the line, seals again made with Dupont Viton are acceptable, but not all are.

The basic rule is saw is dependent on the part functioning properly, then best to get OEM.

Your saw will be worth less the more non original parts that are present on the saw. It also needs to be shown that parts have been charged to AM ones to any prospective buyers of the saw also, not to is an underhanded practice.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When i work on saws for customers i try to use OEM unless the cust wants AM. I have never used an OEM cylinder but i have used quite a few AM cylinder kits and they are all still running. None of my customers are loggers but rather farmers so their saws do not see daily use but they do get abused and neglected. Nobody knows how to clean a bar groove and dress a bar or oil a clutch bearing. For rubber stuff i always try to use OEM. One of the best AM things i have bought is a Farmertec saw hardware kit. Seems like every saw comes in missing at least one screw or a stripped out screw. Had mixed success from AM clutch drums. Zero luck with AM flippy caps. $.02

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Generally, what parts do you insist on buying OEM?

Specifically, I think it's time to rebuild the clutch assembly on my 026. The cheap aftermarket parts worry me for some reason, but Stihl is pretty proud of their stuff.

Interested to see which parts people think need to be OEM. Share your wisdom!

Unless there is something wrong with the shoes or the spyder on your clutch -- you'll have to buy 3 springs.
Last ones I bought were .99cents each. You'll have $3.00 and tax in your clutch. Go OEM.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've even had some trouble with Oregon clutch drums. I think the oil pump arm notch wasn't right.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much can a complete OEM clutch cost?
And if it is just one saw that needs repairs does it even matter how much OEM parts cost!?

Buy once and be done with it!

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do the springs as stated, even the AM clutches I've seen had the springs come apart in a few weeks and got replaced with oem.
Some clutches go for 90.00$ , the 034s I bought was over 45$ so yeah I get it.

59billy

Unknown OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How much can a complete OEM clutch cost?
And if it is just one saw that needs repairs does it even matter how much OEM parts cost!?

Buy once and be done with it!

All the replies have been helpful, but this really puts it in perspective.

Do the springs as stated, even the AM clutches I've seen had the springs come apart in a few weeks and got replaced with oem.
Some clutches go for 90.00$ , the 034s I bought was over 45$ so yeah I get it.

It hit me that even if I put $40 into a clutch, I'll have about $300 in the saw. I think I'll get it from the dealer, so I can ask how much a new MS261 is. As I said, perspective!

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

It hit me that even if I put $40 into a clutch, I'll have about $300 in the saw. I think I'll get it from the dealer, so I can ask how much a new MS261 is. As I said, perspective!

If you're in for a new clutch. Source the part number, check your dealer. Then check EBay as well. Sometimes there are sellers who sell NOS parts at a significant discount.
Just an idea moving forward. I wish you well as you do.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Around here about $600

59billy

Unknown OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Update: Everything but the springs and bearings looked great, dealer came through for about $12.

Next up: OEM starter rope and spring. I'm running out of stuff to change.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update: Everything but the springs and bearings looked great, dealer came through for about $12.

Next up: OEM starter rope and spring. I'm running out of stuff to change.

May I ask what exactly is wrong with the saw? Or are you just trying to freshen it up a bit? Curious.
The 026 saw is not a bad choice for its class.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meteor sure does make some nice stuff, little red barn i have had good success with as well. I am just talking too end kits here btw.
Cranks seem to be hit and miss, I had a bad experience with hyway. In the end i ended up going with oem and it saved me a ton of time and money ironically :)
The throttle cable/boot flange from hyway for the 372OE is a superior product imo than oem.
Just my experience

59billy

Unknown OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
May I ask what exactly is wrong with the saw? Or are you just trying to freshen it up a bit? Curious.
The 026 saw is not a bad choice for its class.

Clutch was noisy and sometimes the chain would creep, even with the idle set low. Starter rope would hang up now and then. The whole assembly was packed with oily sawdust. Just cleaning it might have been enough, but as you say, I want to freshen it up. The previous owner had replaced the piston, rubber, etc, so it's kind of fun perk the rest of it up.

And TBH, I just like tinkering.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Clutch was noisy and sometimes the chain would creep, even with the idle set low. Starter rope would hang up now and then. The whole assembly was packed with oily sawdust. Just cleaning it might have been enough, but as you say, I want to freshen it up. The previous owner had replaced the piston, rubber, etc, so it's kind of fun perk the rest of it up.

And TBH, I just like tinkering.

Okey doke sir. Carry on. After tinkering run that sucker and get your money's worth. :cool:

59billy

Unknown OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Okey doke sir. Carry on. After tinkering run that sucker and get your money's worth. :cool:

Oh, I have been, starting with the Cypress that the Boss wanted for her Christmas tree. And the 026 is such a killer combination of power and light weight that it's perfect for schlepping through the woods to cut up all the hurricane blowdown. I could get rid of my 290 and maybe my CS-310.

But I won't.