Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
9:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Indeed. I'm going to get some more input and really think it over. If I dont feel comfortable i'll get some help.

I'd get some heavy cargo type ratchet straps, strap it tight in several places......then lay it down.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
10:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
0ad3576f55943fe5e77ed08dffcda16a.jpg
I think I see a unicorn.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If no dynamite or heavy equipment available to do the job, what Randy said is sound advice. Looks goofy I know, did last fall to a split maple. if I had not, my teeth would be holding my hat about now, it saved a barber chair. Also a cut plan helps, lots of different ways to go about that, some better than others. I'm not a pro though, but I do like my health. Good luck with that nasty looking critter.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
absolutely
I took a decent size Poplar down some yrs ago that was kinda like your tree. It was lightning struck and unstable. I decided to put a cable up as high as i could ..Safely reached.. and then winch it down. The tree is in a brittle state and should take less to get is over. I personally wouldn't go near that tree with a saw unless there was..NO.. alternative. ( you have the space by the look) It may not be neat but you will be able to trim what still stands safer after that top weight is gone.

Magnumitis

Kevin in Arkansas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I took a decent size Poplar down some yrs ago that was kinda like your tree. It was lightning struck and unstable. I decided to put a cable up as high as i could ..Safely reached.. and then winch it down. The tree is in a brittle state and should take less to get is over. I personally wouldn't go near that tree with a saw unless there was..NO.. alternative. ( you have the space by the look) It may not be neat but you will be able to trim what still stands safer after that top weight is gone.
Thanks Simon. I feel that you are correct. I don't have a tractor heavy enough to pull it down. And for what I'd pay for a half dozen ratchet straps, I can likely get the local boom truck tree man to come take the top out of it leaving me a stick to drop. That's post oak and it's still alive. It's some of the best firewood in these parts, takes two years to cure out even split.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
10:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the west coast we would just do a shallow face and bore it out the back ,the way all the branches are on one side go that way of course with the fall .,A bar long enough to go all the way though will be needed also ,do it in one cut ,no walking around the tree stuff .
Gees Brian. Read the title of the thread. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.