beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
8:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did the math on 3 pigs and found out really quickly I could save money by running to the sale and buying them finished. You guys got to be getting the boots put to you..

I really want them for the kids. I was raised on a dairy farm with daily chores. My kids are spoiled!
You're not gonna make anything on them but it is definitely worth it to get the kids outside and give them a little responsibility.

My boys have started raising pigs for 4H and it's been great for them. If you get involved in 4H the pigs sell for a good price at the fair sales.

Of course my kids keep all the cash so I still get the shaft but at least they learn something.

One side benefit is you end up with some great tasting pork and you know what you're eating. (We raised one extra for ourselves last year and plan to raise two extra this year)

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're not gonna make anything on them but it is definitely worth it to get the kids outside and give them a little responsibility.

My boys have started raising pigs for 4H and it's been great for them. If you get involved in 4H the pigs sell for a good price at the fair sales.

Of course my kids keep all the cash so I still get the shaft but at least they learn something.

One side benefit is you end up with some great tasting pork and you know what you're eating. (We raised one extra for ourselves last year and plan to raise two extra this year)

Our oldest will be 9 this spring and old enough to show livestock. She's going to be doing sheep this year.

I doubt she will ever do hogs. For bio security reasons mainly.

Also in our area, hogs and steers are extreamly competitive. There are kids showing $60,000 steers and show hogs that run well over a grand.
To me, that's not what 4-H is about and takes all the fun out of it.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score

Mmmmmm smoked pork, slow cooked bbq ribs, pork belly for bacon, pulled pork shoulder, thin cut chops with apple sauce.I'd say 3 pigs yall are spoiled

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
8:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Morning Todd and I just used my smart phone currency calculator and that puts it here around 1475. Last time I was at the dealer I saw a guy walk out with a 661 20" and 32" bar 4 chains and a 6pack of 2.5 gals oil mix for that much.
My discount would probably get another $150.00 off maybe.;)

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

This ^^^

4H played a big part in my life. Started showing pigs at 10 until i aged out at 19.

small scale 4H pigs can be as addicting as CAD...

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
8:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hope you gave him a big giant GFY.
I got my 661 through Randy ported and freighted to my door for about AUD $1800.00 how does that work Steve,he knows I get a lot of chainsaw gear from the US.Huskies will be cheaper now as well to price match Stihl .

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mmmmmm smoked pork, slow cooked bbq ribs, pork belly for bacon, pulled pork shoulder, thin cut chops with apple sauce.I'd say 3 pigs yall are spoiled

We've got close to 10,000 on the farm at any given point here.

Status
Not open for further replies.