Not So Pro 3

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
1:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It all depends on what you want out of it. The Cleveland is a performer at high rpm, but lacks torque at lower speeds.

And the open chamber head engines were bad for detonation. The quench area was loose and velocity was poor.

With domed pistons, and the right camshaft, they became a different animal.

To me, a 351C with 2V heads and a 4V intake made to fit those heads were good street engines. The 4V heads had huge intake ports that were horrible at anything under 3500 rpm.

All relative to what the intended use of the engine is.
I was always looking for a truck engine so none of them were really great in that application, especially with the 460 so plentiful. I had one 400M in a '78 Bronco that made good oil pressure so I threw an RV type cam and mild intake system at it. It was livable.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You really wouldn’t be able to see anything. Really all you can tell is that she’s nekkid and brushing her hair. Second story window, just a little too high to see anything good. Now the guy that lives across the street and works the nights shift... I can understand why he’s in such a hurry to get home...
Your address is?... :cool:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It all depends on what you want out of it. The Cleveland is a performer at high rpm, but lacks torque at lower speeds.

And the open chamber head engines were bad for detonation. The quench area was loose and velocity was poor.

With domed pistons, and the right camshaft, they became a different animal.

To me, a 351C with 2V heads and a 4V intake made to fit those heads were good street engines. The 4V heads had huge intake ports that were horrible at anything under 3500 rpm.

All relative to what the intended use of the engine is.
Agreed

1969 351C 2V was the strongest factory motor available in those imo for a stick shift work truck. I used one with no AM cam in my 77' F150 4x4, top loader with custom made motor mounts. Good solid work truck set up. MoFoCo Holley deuce on a one inch plate under it was my only top end engine part swap. Added set of decent headers with 2" dual exhaust for good economy.

One of Fords best offerings.

Boomhower

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agreed

1969 351C 2V was the strongest factory motor available in those imo for a stick shift work truck. I used one with no AM cam in my 77' F150 4x4, top loader with custom made motor mounts. Good solid work truck set up. MoFoCo Holley deuce on a one inch plate under it was my only top end engine part swap. Added set of decent headers with 2" dual exhaust for good economy.

One of Fords best offerings.

What about the Y block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What about the Y block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just have no love for those heads, early or late model. Ported a few and did a built up 390 for a guy or three. Plus I'm not a Ford guy. If I was the 427 old school or a 428CJ would be my performance pick anyway. Stock, to drive a stick shift truck, 351C 2V heads as Randal stated. Lincoln mark VIII weren't bad runners when brandy new with the HO V8.

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Steel I believe. Being this old no way to tell without tearing it down.
64-69 some 1970 motors. They stopped steel cranks around 70' in the big three car HO engines. Trucks went a bit long but most had dried up by 74'. I'm sure exceptions are out there.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
10:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
64-69 some 1970 motors. They stopped steel cranks around 70' in the big three car HO engines. Trucks went a bit long but most had dried up by 74'. I'm sure exceptions are out there.
According to the serial number it's a 1967 motor. No clue what's done internally. I suspect it's a 1641, but not sure at all. None the less a decent platform to build from.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
According to the serial number it's a 1967 motor. No clue what's done internally. I suspect it's a 1641, but not sure at all. None the less a decent platform to build from.
You'll be good either or if the rest is original and nothing is wonky.
Enjoy the smell of those main cap bolts :D