Not So Pro 3

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
@nbbt , I keep wanting to plant garlic, just don't know what kinds like zone 7a. Any suggestions?
I'm in zone 5a or 4b, and the first 3 hardnecks listed below are claimed to grow well in zone 7 as well.
I have not tried to grow any softnecks, but may in the future. I like the stronger flavored types for the cooking we enjoy.

There are many varieties, so - depending on what flavors you want and weather you are using in cold food or cooking makes a difference for what you might want. I generally tend to stick with hardneck varieties, mostly due to stronger flavors, and partly because they store well with growing in our area. We harvest late July to early August and I usually don't have any spoilage until May or June the next year IF it lasts that long.

I'm been growing 4 varieties of hardneck's the last couple of years. Some work better when cooking and all have a stronger flavor.
Music Garlic, strong flavored garlic, taste is a medium hot, true garlic flavor.
Chesnok Red Garlic SUPER Easy to grow, best for baking, roasting and sautéing garlic
German (extra hardy) Garlic, raw flavor is pungent and spicy mellowing out when cooked.
Armenian Garlic, strong flavored, not-to-hot flavor of garlic, easy to grow

Below are a couple of good sites for much information on the different varieties.

Keene Garlic good definitions with suggested uses and sales

Live eat learn _38 varieties The title says it all

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When I was brewing at home we attempted a clone a couple years in a row. Hell of a fun day mashing 60+ lbs of grain for a 5 gallon batch.
My understanding is there is some bit of many previous batches that is somehow incorporated in the new batch. And then the barrel aged stuffs flavored in many different wine and liquor barrels. Not all make it into the final product.

But what a job, these people use to be doing this blending as their primary function at SA.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
6:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My understanding is there is some bit of many previous batches that is somehow incorporated in the new batch. And then the barrel aged stuffs flavored in many different wine and liquor barrels. Not all make it into the final product.

But what a job, these people use to be doing this blending as their primary function at SA.
We coaxed ours to about 18%. I believe Utopias is in the 27% range. For the money ney I'll buy a bunch of BA stouts and blended sours.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We coaxed ours to about 18%. I believe Utopias is in the 27% range. For the money ney I'll buy a bunch of BA stouts and blended sours.
Instead of brewing beer, I've got a thing with fermenting mead, it rather easy to get higher ABV ( I try for 28-32% in 3 stages) if you ferment in stages, with always adding more honey and water before the batch becomes dry (I add more when the brix is about 15 or 16). And rack it off the dead, settled yeast after the 2nd stage.

I like adding berries or berry combinations, it has always been well received.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Instead of brewing beer, I've got a thing with fermenting mead, it rather easy to get higher ABV ( I try for 28-32% in 3 stages) if you ferment in stages, with always adding more honey and water before the batch becomes dry (I add more when the brix is about 15 or 16). And rack it off the dead, settled yeast after the 2nd stage.

I like adding berries or berry combinations, it has always been well received.
Did a little cider, but never mead. I've retired my gear now, I can get just about anything I used to have to make.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Did a little cider, but never mead. I've retired my gear now, I can get just about anything I used to have to make.
Or try maple wine. Very easy for high fermented ABV's.
My last batch came in over 40% with 3 1/2 stages of syrup being added. The last stage was more for getting some stronger maple flavor returned to the carboy, as the early stages had almost stripped the flavors out. The last part stage used some dark similar to cooking grade syrup, added and them bottled 2 days later.

This you can not hide the alcohol aroma, it's very close to a cognac scent.

I've meant to try ciders but haven't fit it into my schedules quite yet.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About time to put some cloves in the ground, after a bowl of leftovers that is.
We planted last year, four varieties, three hard neck and one soft neck. They all did really well, we are swimming in garlic right now. I don't think we will get any in the ground this year, but will be prepping a spot in the garden for next year so its all ready to go.

It was awesome to get scapes too, those were really enjoyable!!

Lnk

Stock Chainsaws do not suck!
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or try maple wine. Very easy for high fermented ABV's.
My last batch came in over 40% with 3 1/2 stages of syrup being added. The last stage was more for getting some stronger maple flavor returned to the carboy, as the early stages had almost stripped the flavors out. The last part stage used some dark similar to cooking grade syrup, added and them bottled 2 days later.

This you can not hide the alcohol aroma, it's very close to a cognac scent.

I've meant to try ciders but haven't fit it into my schedules quite yet.
What yeast are you using that can tolerate the high alcohol content?

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What yeast are you using that can tolerate the high alcohol content?
I'm using EC-1118. Rated to 18% "Initially".

As the process continues (ie multiple stages adding more honey and water), and the yeast becomes generational, the new (daughter yeast) is what becomes tolerant to the higher and higher ABV's. The stuff that the process started with dies off and settles to the bottom of your fermentation canister(carboy). Reason for racking off dead yeast is it seems to add a bitterness / off flavor and might slow the generational active yeasts from handling the increased ABV's

Try it, you'll become a believer real quick.

I also try to keep the room where the fermentations are done below 70f, I frequently start batches just after new years, as it can take 10-12weeks from start to finish when doing 3 stages of honey or MAPLE syrup additions.

Edit to add maple syrup in last line.

Last edited: