Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
3:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I checked timing like you suggested. Found the problem too. Mechanical advance is practically nonexistent until 4500 rpm....so to make it run even close to how it should going down the road, initial timing ends up about 21°. When I get home from vacation (which starts Wednesday morning), I'll recurve this distributor.
Good deal! At least now you know where to begin.

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I checked timing like you suggested. Found the problem too. Mechanical advance is practically nonexistent until 4500 rpm....so to make it run even close to how it should going down the road, initial timing ends up about 21°. When I get home from vacation (which starts Wednesday morning), I'll recurve this distributor.
I felt lucky Having a friend with a distributor machine to quickly find an issue..
A timing light and RPM gauge can get you there too.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I forget now, is the 302 balancer neutral and the other one weighted?
I believe that is correct.
If you want to work on something all the time
Just put a 318 in it with a original 60s/70s electrical system.
LOL I'll pass.
I felt lucky Having a friend with a distributor machine to quickly find an issue..
A timing light and RPM gauge can get you there too.
I got a Mac Tool timing light from Ed awhile back. It is an adjustable light, and a tach in one tool.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@3browns I owe you a word of thanks on the paint advice several months ago. Finally got around to some Vaca time on this Ole Gal. It's 75% better for sure. Think I'm gonna let her go like this and give a new buyer barter fodder. Hood paint is $750, nose wrap would be close to $350. Anyhow I used one of these new synthetic clay tools from Griots garage, it seemed to work well. Here is what I used left to right. I'm sure you remember the adhesive mess I had on my hands for sure. Anyhow thanks again sir! TimgView attachment 423794View attachment 423795View attachment 423796View attachment 423797
I am glad it worked out for you

I have and use the Griots synthetic clay and really think highly of it and it looks like you followed up with some well thought out products

I have never used the Wizard's line but I have heard others say good things about it

That last picture of the hood looks great!!!

Glad I could help a bit

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
1:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am glad it worked out for you

I have and use the Griots synthetic clay and really think highly of it and it looks like you followed up with some well thought out products

I have never used the Wizard's line but I have heard others say good things about it

That last picture of the hood looks great!!!

Glad I could help a bit
The wizards has a great aluminum polish, but all I can speak on. Haven’t used any of the other products.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This thing has pulled some big loads of logs, and firewood.....trailers full of cows, and scrap metal pretty well with the timing way....way too low. Once it weighed over 17K total at the scrap yard. It should do very well once I get it right.