p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
4:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
None, and I am too old to start now. Not sure I would want to get up in either tree as they are. There were twin oaks with about a 15 degree V, and roots entangled. One went down, and uprooted the other. I can just imagine how much pressure is on that limb right now, so wouldn't want to be anywhere in it to cut that limb. And the leaner might go any time, so wouldn't want to clime it to take it down from the top. Also, no way to get a bucket truck close, ground is too soft.
Hate to give advice on something with so much risk honestly.

Lnk

Stock Chainsaws do not suck!
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
7:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i said not the ones at your favorite rest area

you should know im not gonna give advice to do anything that will get you hurt
i have a little more time to troll you
Don't worry Dallas, 40 more years buddy.
Hate to give advice on something with so much risk honestly.
Thanks for that, I will think on this a bunch and seek professional advice.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
It is in a location where we walk, and don't like uncertainty when I can prevent it. I would rather take it down than it cause dominoes as that area gets quite wet during the rainy season. And one down controlled, is much better than two in a tangled mess. I really don't like to cut live trees. Open to any suggestion.
IMG_3942.jpeg
I’d climb it. Or hire someone to climb it. It’s a real live widow maker. Given your limitations use your pole saw to cut the dead branches highlighted in yellow off. Cut any other branches off that the tree can get hung up on. Don’t bother face cutting the uprooted tree. It’s too tilted to gain any control from a hing and it’s likely to fall slower/safer without. Put a light bottom cut in the branch you highlighted in red. Preferably on the exact opposite side of the pressure being applied by the leaner. Make the top cut on the branch supporting the leaner. If you can do it with a manual pole saw you can work at it incrementally and listen for your clue to run to the left. Personally I’d leave it and avoid walking there until nature took its course, but if you simply must have it down it could be your funeral if you choose to proceed or maybe not.

Lnk

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 412303
I’d climb it. Or hire someone to climb it. It’s a real live widow maker. Given your limitations use your pole saw to cut the dead branches highlighted in yellow off. Cut any other branches off that the tree can get hung up on. Don’t bother face cutting the uprooted tree. It’s too tilted to gain any control from a hing and it’s likely to fall slower/safer without. Put a light bottom cut in the branch you highlighted in red. Preferably on the exact opposite side of the pressure being applied by the leaner. Make the top cut on the branch supporting the leaner. If you can do it with a manual pole saw you can work at it incrementally and listen for your clue to run to the left. Personally I’d leave it and avoid walking there until nature took its course, but if you simply must have it down it could be your funeral if you choose to proceed or maybe not.
I am nothing if not careful, if I was sure I could handle it, I would not have asked for advice. My Spidey sense is saying danger, and I am listening to it. The fact that you guys are cautioning against doing it, reinforces that. I want to be around to pick on Dallas for 40 more years. Thanks again all. Will find a pro to get it down for me.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
6:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will after it is down. I may hire someone, anybody know anybody in east tn?
My advice: get a logger to come cut it. I would cut it for you if I lived closer. I work with this type of scenario frequently. I would fall them together, then you can clean up the mess at your leisure after that. There’s logger ways of felling them together safely, without risk of barber chairing the support tree. But at the end of the day: that’s a dangerous situation and could still get ugly no matter who’s cutting it. I think Woodpecker’s idea is the best if you choose to try it yourself. Right away I thought that you should cut those other limbs as well, then undercut the supporting limb, top cut until it starts to give and get outta there.

Lnk

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My advice: get a logger to come cut it. I would cut it for you if I lived closer. I work with this type of scenario frequently. I would fall them together, then you can clean up the mess at your leisure after that. There’s logger ways of felling them together safely, without risk of barber chairing the support tree. But at the end of the day: that’s a dangerous situation and could still get ugly no matter who’s cutting it. I think Woodpecker’s idea is the best if you choose to try it yourself. Right away I thought that you should cut those other limbs as well, then undercut the supporting limb, top cut until it starts to give and get outta there.
I am going to stand back with my finger on the 911 button in case the pro gets hurt. I made it this far without doing something stupid enough to get me killed, so why start now. Besides, Dallas would be sad.

Lnk

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 412303
Just curious, is the bottom cut you suggested on that limb to prevent the live part of the branch from hanging on when it fails?

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am going to stand back with my finger on the 911 button in case the pro gets hurt. I made it this far without doing something stupid enough to get me killed, so why start now. Besides, Dallas would be sad.
who else would i ride
i mean you get rode more than your goats or wife ever have lol

Lnk

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just went and pulled up 5 discarded tires from my frontage along the road. There are more bottles and cans that I care to pickup. Why are people such slobs. I hope to catch them in the act one day. People suck sometimes.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Just curious, is the bottom cut you suggested on that limb to prevent the live part of the branch from hanging on when it fails?
Yes. It’s called a snap cut. I’d have suggested what Andy did with cutting them both down at the same time, but I don’t know your felling proficiency. I tend to think there isn't as much pressure on that branch as you might imagine. It’s probably better when it’s not so wet there as well. Cutting the support branch is the second best option. You could always rig up some tannerite on the branch and fix the problem ballistically.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The boy showed me a YT vid the other day where a fulla rode a snowmobile across a warm liquid body of water and then up a sand dune.
I guess keeping it on the plane is the critical bit.

The temperature of the water does not play into the variables.

Used skip open water all the time, even sank one, skipping a long channel in between two lakes, new years morning '99 we were ringing in the new year with a blast, bout 3 am, were still out & about partying like idiots. Sled ran out of gas mid way across the channel, plop right in the drink, was only about -18F, talk about a buzz kill.

Lnk

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. It’s called a snap cut. I’d have suggested what Andy did with cutting them both down at the same time, but I don’t know your felling proficiency. I tend to think there isn't as much pressure on that branch as you might imagine. It’s probably better when it’s not so wet there as well. Cutting the support branch is the second best option. You could always rig up some tannerite on the branch and fix the problem ballistically.
See, that is why I like it here. Never thought of tannerite. Of course I would have to get it up on that branch. Good thinking outside the box. Maybe my boy could get me some det cord. Lol.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Lnk

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you own a 20' aluminum ladder? If not now's a good time to buy one.

Most NSP tree removal videos on YouTube, start with a ladder, then a chainsaw.
I have a ladder, never thought that I could use it to get up higher though. Thanks for the tip. Lol