High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

New World Record for Assembling and Disassembling Same Saw? Or, Stihl 020's & the Men Who Hate Them

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I had to guess, I'd say that I assembled and disassembled this saw 40x. If that's an exaggeration, it's not by much. Can anyone top this???

Here's the back story -- the saw in question is an 020AV Super with a top handle. Bought several years ago when I was in Europe; prior owner said it wasn't running well. Finally got around to going through it a few weeks ago. I don't often need a top handle saw, but landlord and I are going to take down a few large trees against the house this weekend.

Anyway, I actually started off with two saws. A top handle 020AV Super and a rear handle 020AV Super (020AV-P Super?). I don't need a tiny rear handle saw, but it was pretty clean, so I used most of the parts from it.

First issue may have been ignition. I ended up swapping over the electronic ignition from the parts saw (yes, I swapped the flywheel, too). From there, it was running, but it would cut out at high rpm. That caused several more iterations of disassembly. From there, I ended up changing crank seals; damn things are hard to find for these saws. Also changed out the plug wire.

Anyway, after that, I was having trouble with the clearance between the flywheel and the carb. I chased my tail on that for wayyyyy too long, clocking the carb differently, trying the other carb, trying the other intake boot, then ordering a new intake boot (made problem worse!), etc, etc.

From there, I reassembled it and it wasn't running right. By this time, I wasn't sure what carb was on it - the first one I rebuilt or the second one. After fiddlef*cking with it for a few hours today, finally it's running like it should!

At this point, I am confident that I can disassemble and reassemble the saw in my sleep, both hands tied behind my back, while whistling Dixie.

And I also realize why everyone runs the MS200T's these days. These old suckers aren't easy to work on.

EDIT: For those who are (thankfully?) not familiar with these saws, you have to split the saw in two to do just about anything. You're not splitting the case, but you are separating the fuel tank and starter assembly from the rest of the saw. You also need to remove the top handle to do this. In addition, in order to remove the carb, not only do you have to split the saw in two, you also need to remove the flywheel.

IMG_7427.jpg IMG_7428.jpg IMG_7429.jpg IMG_7430.jpg IMG_7431.jpg

Last edited:

M2theB

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I had to guess, I'd say that I assembled and disassembled this saw 40x. If that's an exaggeration, it's not by much. Can anyone top this???

Here's the back story -- the saw in question is an 020AV Super with a top handle. Bought several years ago when I was in Europe; prior owner said it wasn't running well. Finally got around to going through it a few weeks ago. I don't often need a top handle saw, but landlord and I are going to take down a few large trees against the house this weekend.

Anyway, I actually started off with two saws. A top handle 020AV Super and a rear handle 020AV Super (020AV-P Super?). I don't need a tiny rear handle saw, but it was pretty clean, so I used most of the parts from it.

First issue may have been ignition. I ended up swapping over the electronic ignition from the parts saw (yes, I swapped the flywheel, too). From there, it was running, but it would cut out at high rpm. That caused several more iterations of disassembly. From there, I ended up changing crank seals; damn things are hard to find for these saws. Also changed out the plug wire.

Anyway, after that, I was having trouble with the clearance between the flywheel and the carb. I chased my tail on that for wayyyyy too long, clocking the carb differently, trying the other carb, trying the other intake boot, then ordering a new intake boot (made problem worse!), etc, etc.

From there, I reassembled it and it wasn't running right. By this time, I wasn't sure what carb was on it - the first one I rebuilt or the second one. After fiddlef*cking with it for a few hours today, finally it's running like it should!

At this point, I am confident that I can disassemble and reassemble the saw in my sleep, both hands tied behind my back, while whistling Dixie.

And I also realize why everyone runs the MS200T's these days. These old suckers aren't easy to work on.

View attachment 314926 View attachment 314927 View attachment 314928 View attachment 314929 View attachment 314930

Very similar deal last summer. Coil, wire, seals…
I don’t think I got to 40 but strong into double digits.
For me it came down to using the right gasket on the metering side of the carb from the 3 to choose from in the kit.