New Boys and a box of 660 parts

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That intake # does not sound right, unless you modded it. The squish is also too tight (IMO).

Usually, you have to lower the intake quite a bit to get near 80. I think if the intake is 88 I'd throw the jug out.

I would try sanding that squish band with some sandpaper on top of the piston. A gasket will just lower your exhaust more, and it is low enough already.

How confident are you these #s are correct?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. Make sure you properly find TDC, check it from both directions. Also, check your #s in both directions to ensure your wheel is properly centered.

The intake opens from the bottom, from the bottom of the skirt of the piston.

The transfers are always hard to see, but it helps to remove both the plug and decomp, and shine a light in one while you look in the other.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had one with an intake of 90, my newer one is 81. Both need the .020" base gasket or the piston hits the head.

I think you got lucky on your cylinders Mike.

Could always try JB Weld in the intake.

jhixf564

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We did it again.

96/123/86.

Squish at 18 on one side and 19 on the other. Put gasket and all 4 bolts.

nutball. I think we have twins!

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
7:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want to say if your unsure, just ask,, well maybe tell us your process, then if it seems your doing it the wrong way. Some one will chime in and correct your method.
I will say...I do watch the YouTube vids, and always double check what ive Seen heard and learnt.
I can say I watched a vid Or few, and thought what a hack of a way to time a cylinder.. I wonder if ? !!! Dot dot dot... No names here...of the hack
Then not that long later I watched another vid where someone got all the wrong numbers it turned out they had seen the vid that I had thought fudging hack way .
Then they later posted a vid of the corrected numbers And a thankyou to the guy that helped them
The vids I will link to is the poor guy that got lead down the wrong path of the well wrong way to get tdc (BDC)
You can hear for yourself from the two vids

The wrong way vid, even thou he don’t know yet ?
The corrected way and givin credits to the guy that helped out tinman

I’ve watched a few of tinman vids, I think they are good BUT...I want to point out . in his vids I watched about porting a 461 that he rebuilt, he forgot and said nothing about the saddle screws\ bolts being 20thou to high to a base gasket delete (or I missed it ).. if you read randys, method he tells you about it. If you did not notice In tinman s way it you'd cook your cylinder
This is why I say read around and ask a few questions.
Now I wonder if I can find the hack way that popular mechanic learnt to find bottom dead centre.
The worst way ever to be accurate about not being accurate starts at 2:20 in the vid please don’t watch it all just give it the thumbs down.... but hopefully you gleened enough info from popular mech... in the links above to NOT watch the vid. Below

Last edited:

jhixf564

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
To late Wonkey! I let my son read your post and both of us laughed. All numbers were attained with the no no videos posted above. We watched the other video and found it twice. We printed off another wheel to use two. We used a 0 - 180 to find duration. Then flipped it over to a 4-90s to find our numbers. He was figuring the math out on a pad while he was finding port numbers. We ordered a pizza, ate popsicles and I drank a couple of beers in the shop tonight. It was great. If it blows up in ten minutes it is worth twice what a brand new 661 costs.

Exhaust was 97
Intake 81
Transfers 123

I would like to thank y’all for being so helpful. It’s nice to find a forum where you don’t get beat up for being inexperienced and stupid!

jhixf564

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Excuse the little redneck in his underwear, but he is working! He says he only has to wear pants when he leaves the farm. I might have let him grow ups little to free.
He is smoothing up where we widened the ports in the first photo. You He would not use the big die grinder to cut it. I would tell somebody I was skilled in the art of a die grinder. That thing made a monkey out of me in those ports! He is filing the key in the lower pic.1FCA383A-F622-4F5A-B088-E54E0D4A511B.jpeg FFCD0350-AB34-47C6-B496-90719ECA0A1B.jpeg We finished today. It started! We have to get some bar studs. And we will be finished.

Christopher and I would like to thank everybody for the help and direction. We will take some pics or video of it in some wood this weekend.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would have kept the crank case far away. I wouldn't want metal dust to get in there, and I hope he's wearing glasses. Metal in the eyes is the worst.

jhixf564

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
He had them on when he was polishing, he didn’t when he was filing. Two new small engine guys with a cut-off wheel with degrees all over it, a sharpie, pencil, die grinder and a Chinese cylinder, a little metal dust is the least of this saws worries!

jhixf564

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A9CCFEBC-284A-4686-AAF8-B50695ED6039.jpeg Last pic. We put the bar on it today. We will try it out in a couple of days. My old boss man had some hurricane damage and we are going to help him clean up tomorrow afternoon and probably Saturday. Maybe we can try it out Sunday when we get home.

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
He had them on when he was polishing, he didn’t when he was filing. Two new small engine guys with a cut-off wheel with degrees all over it, a sharpie, pencil, die grinder and a Chinese cylinder, a little metal dust is the least of this saws worries!
So what ur saying is........it's either gonna cut like a fuggin banshee or die a quick and epic death?

jhixf564

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We cut cookies today! I can’t figure out how to upload a video for everybody to see. We had to massage the throttle linkage today. We took the handle apart a bent the wire where it wasn’t popping out if the linkage on the carb. Thank y’all again.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
7:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to upload to YouTube (but they can be apita and suspend the account due to spam violations, dum Computer automation) or Vimeo

then post the link