GoldMember
Local time
3:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Howdy Tom!
Have you tried a different plug wire?

Yeah a couple. I got resistance with the new coil and nobody indicated that that could be the problem. I want to know if anybody knows if the north or south magnet pass by the coil first? That will give me a good indicator for attraction or repellent.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doesn’t take much of a pull.

Make sure plug is touching cyl.

Last edited:

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
tom. im with matty on new OEM coil. ive only run into 3 no spark 395s and they were all coil issues. i wish i had one to send ya. anybody know if something else will swap just to confirm spark/no spark coil ?

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
tom. im with matty on new OEM coil. ive only run into 3 no spark 395s and they were all coil issues. i wish i had one to send ya. anybody know if something else will swap just to confirm spark/no spark coil ?

I wish I did know somebody with a coil. I've got another that I tried on the same saw that tested about the same as the new coil. I dont know anybody that knows the resistance numbers to a 395 coil. I might give the dealer a call on monday. But the new coil does have some resistance numbers. Not all the coils we tested did so. The secondary and kill switch were 0.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
2:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Jason, whats up!!!

I even turned the lights out and was in complete dark and could see no spark. I dont know the story of the flywheel, bought it from a member. Although its rare, I'm about out of options. I just wanted to know if there was something I was missing before I threw more money at it. I will try it one more time tomorrow and if that doesnt work looks like I'll be searching for a flywheel to see if that will fix it. If it doesnt work tomorrow will take the flywheel off again for the umpteenth time and put it next to a good flywheel to see if its attracted or repelled.

Sometimes it's tough, but when there's not much else...
I can remember I went through two flywheels on a 266 one time before the third one made spark, that one frazzled me pretty good. Had to get another saw that ran to finally figure it out.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, that sucks!! Thanks for your input Steve. I think I'm going to try another flywheel but not before I attach the inline tester and give it one more try. Also attach a compression tester just for numbers sake.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It could be just bad wiring connections, a broken wire hidden by insulation, or even the on/off switch. Electrical problems drive you batty. Check all wiring with a meter (inline tester). I can even remember a toggle switch failing on one of my saws years ago.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, that sucks!! Thanks for your input Steve. I think I'm going to try another flywheel but not before I attach the inline tester and give it one more try. Also attach a compression tester just for numbers sake.

Especially if you have another there already, by all means.

It could be just bad wiring connections, a broken wire hidden by insulation, or even the on/off switch. Electrical problems drive you batty. Check all wiring with a meter (inline tester). I can even remember a toggle switch failing on one of my saws years ago.

Can be, but in this case has been disconnected from the coil to eliminate that variable and narrow things down further.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
seems like everything in the chain has been eliminated except the flywheel. super rare to have a bad flywheel. what bad luck that would be

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, dont have another one, found 1 for $35. That wont break the bank. I'll inspect it when it gets here. If today I dont get spark at least I've got another to try.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question for anybody. If you test the kill wire disconnected from the coil, when the kill switch is in the run position you get no resistance? And when it is in the kill position you do? Just checking to see if the switch is working IF I hook it up like its supposed to be. Thats what I got yesterday testing everything out.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question for anybody. If you test the kill wire disconnected from the coil, when the kill switch is in the run position you get no resistance? And when it is in the kill position you do? Just checking to see if the switch is working IF I hook it up like its supposed to be. Thats what I got yesterday testing everything out.
There should be no continuity through the switch in the on position. Continuity through the switch shorts the coil.

It’s the opposite of a light switch in the house

mgr1

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you try grounding the plug on Something below the cylinder?

Gaston

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had trouble with this one time on a 394. I ending up making the coil gap really close. Closer than the business card trick. That was all it was. Had great spark. Saw ran perfect. Won’t hurt to try

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks all for the replies. We've got ignition. Borrowed a buddys 395 flywheel and the saw fired up. Good to know for in the future.
There should be no continuity through the switch in the on position. Continuity through the switch shorts the coil.

It’s the opposite of a light switch in the house

Thats what I was saying, kind of. When the switch is on there is no continuity.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had trouble with this one time on a 394. I ending up making the coil gap really close. Closer than the business card trick. That was all it was. Had great spark. Saw ran perfect. Won’t hurt to try

Some business cards are thicker than others. I mic my business cards with Huskys. Stihls the big cards would be closer too. There seems to be alot of variables to the one business card fits all but as long as it works, it works.