trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
8:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To make it brief, building a 394 on a 395 case. Its got a 395 crank and flywheel on it. Problem is no spark. Tried 4 different coils, turns out 2 of them are bad. Bought a new coil from HL and still no spark. Tested it with a multimeter on 20k and got some readings. First time I've done this so bear with me. Primary to ground got .6, secondary to ground got 2.27, and kill to ground got .37. Have no idea what I'm looking at so I need somone to decipher this. I've never had a bad flywheel but maybe this time? Just so noone asks, I've tried 3 different new ngk and have the kill wire lead disconnected this whole time. Case is a '17 395. The coil bolts and where it screws into the case are good, no rust or debris. @Stump Shot , @PogoInTheWoods , @Mattyo , @srcarr52

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
7:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also unlike points you need to hit about 800 RPM before a spark can be created, so is the cranking speed while testing fast enough?

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is grounded. Tried it and got readings from frame to cylinder. The flywheel doesnt have any cracks or rust or anything that I can see. I just dont know what it can be. Took a metal rod and it hung on without help. But, it doesnt say wether thats North or South magnetism I dont think.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
5:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you testing it without the kill switch wire hooked up?

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oem coils or am? Used coils of any type on these saws are dodgy. Did you try to run it or just test for spark with drill?

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OEM coil. I tried to run it and when it wouldnt, checked for spark. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldnt you see spark when turning it over by hand? Also, connected an iline tester to it.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Plug is wet when u go to run it?

Whats compression?

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Havent checked compression but with the decomp out it seems pretty stout. Plug was wet. To my question, couldnt you see spark either with your eyes or an inline tester when turning it over? I've had a few 394/395's over the years but I've never ran into something like this.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Havent checked compression but with the decomp out it seems pretty stout. Plug was wet. To my question, couldnt you see spark either with your eyes or an inline tester when turning it over? I've had a few 394/395's over the years but I've never ran into something like this.
Yes, you can see spark visually with the plug out. Just ground it to the cylinder first.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
7:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It has to roll over fairly fast to generate a spark and if in direct light can be difficult to see.
Did that flywheel drop on a hard floor? They can switch N&S by doing so, rare though that it is.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, you can see spark visually with the plug out. Just ground it to the cylinder first.
Hey Jason, whats up!!!
It has to roll over fairly fast to generate a spark and if in direct light can be difficult to see.
Did that flywheel drop on a hard floor? They can switch N&S by doing so, rare though that it is.

I even turned the lights out and was in complete dark and could see no spark. I dont know the story of the flywheel, bought it from a member. Although its rare, I'm about out of options. I just wanted to know if there was something I was missing before I threw more money at it. I will try it one more time tomorrow and if that doesnt work looks like I'll be searching for a flywheel to see if that will fix it. If it doesnt work tomorrow will take the flywheel off again for the umpteenth time and put it next to a good flywheel to see if its attracted or repelled.