Not open for further replies.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sure the saw is built well! If Kevin built it, I'm sure it's strong! But wood that size for me is 90cc all day, every day. Easier on the saw, oils better, etc...

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
8:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sure the saw is built well! If Kevin built it, I'm sure it's strong! But wood that size for me is 90cc all day, every day. Easier on the saw, oils better, etc...

It's not necessary to have the extra weight and CC's to run a longer bar. Keep the chain sharp and don't try to dog it all the way through!

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
And it punches way above its weight class! I'd gladly run it as opposed to a 660!
All day long.
Jeff fails to understand we're not all under sixty, over two hundred pounds in a good way and have Masons stamina, anymore. I'd run my 361 if I thought it could go there. Well let's see it will run a twenty eight bar now so...

I'd have milled that fat stick.
It looks like Stayner just want to get it knocked out as easily as possible. He was on it like a fresh baked cupcake or pie.

We have pie now :)
Good pie
Tasty pie
Moist pie ;-)
Mmm... pie...

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I was 83 I’d be paying a young guy like me to do that kinda work and be sitting back watching with a cold PBR in hand. Lol. Hope I can still run a saw when I’m 83.

SCHallenger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is 90cc territory. Too much for 462...

That's what I thought too, but I decided to give it a whirl. It didn't even whimper, just kept right on slicing' & dicin'. At one time I had a Jonsered 920 (88cc). I'm not comfortable with that much saw anymore.

SCHallenger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I agree that 90cc is certainly more ideal for this application for all of the reasons you mention. If I asked the 462 to do this "all day, every day" I wouldn't expect it to hold up as well as a 660, 661, 390, or 395. If I tried to do this very often, I don't think I would last as long as the saw, LOL!
BTW, the wood was White Oak!

SCHallenger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All day long.
Jeff fails to understand we're not all under sixty, over two hundred pounds in a good way and have Masons stamina, anymore. I'd run my 361 if I thought it could go there. Well let's see it will run a twenty eight bar now so...

I'd have milled that fat stick.
It looks like Stayner just want to get it knocked out as easily as possible. He was on it like a fresh baked cupcake or pie.

We have pie now :)
Good pie
Tasty pie
Moist pie ;-)
Mmm... pie...

I did a LOT of milling with my Jonsereds 920 wearing a 34in bar & ripping chain. I have some beautiful slabs of feathered crotch Walnut that could sell for mega bucks as gunstock wood. This White Oak would have required a pair of 090s, one at each end of a 5ft bar for the last 8-10 ft of the stem!! This tree actually blew down in a vicious storm (blinding rain & straight line winds which reached 90mph in some areas) & screwed up two fence lines on a horse farm. Removal ASAP was necessary. I worked with the owner of the tractor. He was very skilled in handling that thing & also very good at handling a saw & was as strong as Paul Bunyan despite being 70 years young!! He & his wife heat their nearby horse farm & home entirely with wood, & he was given all of the wood with my blessings & the heartfelt thanks of the owner of the horse farm who suffered the damage to her fences & disruption of two pastures for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.