My Stihl 031AV is a dog

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put together a Stihl 031AV out of a 5 gallon bucket a while back. I started it and put it on the shelf. I went to go "exercise" some saws last weekend and grabbed it to put in wood. It got it's turn - but it did not perform well. When I first put the saw together the points were bad so installed a Nova2 module. I read somewhere once that you may need to advance the timing to get it to run right. I would like to get the saw to run well. I don't think I could feel good about even selling it off with the current performance it gives. I am open to suggestions.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So ditch the key altogether, or file the crap out of it?
I would ditch it and run it. Move the flywheel until your happy with how it runs. If there's room for a partial key when you find its happy spot then file the key to fit

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
file the key down to about .010"

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never had the cylinder off. Next time I grab it I will check compression. I put this one together before I had a reliable compression gauge.

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know it is an older saw and it will not turn the RPM of the newer saws, but I have read a lot of good (and some bad) things about this series. I know it should have more power than it currently has. I will check the comp and if it is low, I will get some Cabers. I will advance the timing as well.

Carbine

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut a lot of wood with a 031 when I started burning. Like you said, they dont make a ton of RPMS, but make a ton of torque. One of my all time favs, I would love to build a fast one, one of these days.