My first ported saw!

calebng15

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So definitely something I've thought about for a long time. I'd never run a ported saw before, but had heard a lot of good about them. But my saws ran good the way they were, right? I can do a lot of things to a saw, but porting is definitely, something I knew little about.

I have bought and sold quite a few saws over that past few year, and never really kept one all that long. Until I got a 261. I really liked the saw, ended up getting another, and swapping out the piston. Also opened the muffler a little. I liked it even better. After using for the past year, I decided it was definitely a saw worth keeping. After running several tanks through it this year, decided maybe getting it ported would be worth looking into. Did a lot of research, on what all went on, and if it was over exaggerated, or if it was worth it.

Wasn't really sure on anything, till I got to talking with Dave, @Landmark . Talking with him, pretty much made the decision. Ended up sending it to Mike, @rattler . I'd read that after getting it ported, it was best if you ran the 3 shoe clutch. They were harder to find than what I thought they would be! Ended up Dave was nice enough, to go swap clutches with me while it was at Mike's place. He also offered to swap out tanks, with the hard to find "toolbox". Neat to know guys like him!

Mike kept me very well updated, on what he was doing, and what was going on. Both with pictures and a video. Answered a lot of "newbie" questions. Was just a great guy to deal with.

Received the saw. WOW... It was better than what I thought it would be. I had run some timed cuts before, so I used the same B/C, and pieces of wood, and ran some after timed cuts. Tried in both small and big wood. Before cuts were 57 and 13 second cuts. After cuts were 36 and 8 second cuts. Did more than one cut, and they were all about the same. Biggest difference I noticed right off, was that I could lean on the 20in bar, and it didn't bother it at all. Felt like I had an 18in bar on it. Definitely glad I did it!

So there are three morals to this story.

1st. Having a 262 ported is definitely worth it!

2nd. I have met some pretty awesome guys, on here!

3rd. I'm officially, looking for an excuse to have a ported 390!

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice running saw. Any ideas on the numbers he used? Compression?

I missed if the 3 shoe clutch added anything.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So definitely something I've thought about for a long time. I'd never run a ported saw before, but had heard a lot of good about them. But my saws ran good the way they were, right? I can do a lot of things to a saw, but porting is definitely, something I knew little about.

I have bought and sold quite a few saws over that past few year, and never really kept one all that long. Until I got a 261. I really liked the saw, ended up getting another, and swapping out the piston. Also opened the muffler a little. I liked it even better. After using for the past year, I decided it was definitely a saw worth keeping. After running several tanks through it this year, decided maybe getting it ported would be worth looking into. Did a lot of research, on what all went on, and if it was over exaggerated, or if it was worth it.

Wasn't really sure on anything, till I got to talking with Dave, @Landmark . Talking with him, pretty much made the decision. Ended up sending it to Mike, @rattler . I'd read that after getting it ported, it was best if you ran the 3 shoe clutch. They were harder to find than what I thought they would be! Ended up Dave was nice enough, to go swap clutches with me while it was at Mike's place. He also offered to swap out tanks, with the hard to find "toolbox". Neat to know guys like him!

Mike kept me very well updated, on what he was doing, and what was going on. Both with pictures and a video. Answered a lot of "newbie" questions. Was just a great guy to deal with.

Received the saw. WOW... It was better than what I thought it would be. I had run some timed cuts before, so I used the same B/C, and pieces of wood, and ran some after timed cuts. Tried in both small and big wood. Before cuts were 57 and 13 second cuts. After cuts were 36 and 8 second cuts. Did more than one cut, and they were all about the same. Biggest difference I noticed right off, was that I could lean on the 20in bar, and it didn't bother it at all. Felt like I had an 18in bar on it. Definitely glad I did it!

So there are three morals to this story.

1st. Having a 262 ported is definitely worth it!

2nd. I have met some pretty awesome guys, on here!

3rd. I'm officially, looking for an excuse to have a ported 390!
What a slow turd stock no rpm.

calebng15

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What a slow turd stock no rpm.

The chain looks dull as hell

Hold on a second. This video and thread was not about how sharp my chain was, or how great the saw was. No, it was not the sharpest, but the point was what kind of increase I got. I used the same chain before and after.

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hold on a second. This video and thread was not about how sharp my chain was, or how great the saw was. No, it was not the sharpest, but the point was what kind of increase I got. I used the same chain before and after.
Mike mentioned the saw was a turd stock and all i meant was the saw wouldn't look like such a turd if the chain was sharp. In other words the saw is better in both videos than it looks

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I didn't say after mods it was a turd. I made a nice increase in working rpms.
Stock it was a turd. Revved like a Ford model T

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My oh34 is bone stock to factory specs and it's not a bad saw to run stock they turn 14,200 no load