My First Ported Saw - Stihl 046

Clint53

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi guys
I'm new to the board and I have been just reading and looking for awhile. I see there are some great saw builders here.

I started with a free 046 that was missing a lot of small parts, but the jug was good.

I had watched hundreds of vids about porting and most of them lead me down a path I shouldn't have been on. So I had started the build wrong and I didn't like the results. I had a lot I was wondering about what I was doing that went against all my common sense.

I had a young builder take the time to explain everything and got me on the right path.

I tore the saw down twice after I first got it running and didn't like it. I went through 3 pistons and 3 coils. I ended up with a Meteor piston. I raised the roof and decked the jug twice.

In the end I have a great running saw built in to (near) Tree Monkey fashion.

I don't have a lathe, so I did all the machine work by hand.

The saw is a blessing because of what I have learned.
On to the next build.
Thanks for lookin.
Clint

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi guys
I'm new to the board and I have been just reading and looking for awhile. I see there are some great saw builders here.

I started with a free 046 that was missing a lot of small parts, but the jug was good.

I had watched hundreds of vids about porting and most of them lead me down a path I shouldn't have been on. So I had started the build wrong and I didn't like the results. I had a lot I was wondering about what I was doing that went against all my common sense.

I had a young builder take the time to explain everything and got me on the right path.

I tore the saw down twice after I first got it running and didn't like it. I went through 3 pistons and 3 coils. I ended up with a Meteor piston. I raised the roof and decked the jug twice.

On to the next build.
Thanks for lookin.
Clint

Welcome to OPE sir.

Slumberjack

Team OPE benchwarmer
Local time
5:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi guys

On to the next build.
Thanks for lookin.
Clint

You killed it mr. Clint!