LoneOak

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, having the correct tools makes a world of difference! I think the sleeve and the arbor were less than $30!

B440

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
AM-JKLVo2Y75B-HTtNt8DcaLHBOpyl3sANGb8LPKX0xayQex-FWouhyrnljKpWdvOVX9J8TVMZDnqtJfKCye3uCBkua0IDmMFdOL1oiLwwFMFpFz0wEFkWLPSkLDH7S0CfrxfNLcfyho7vYydVkng29qAPxM=w887-h665-no

AM-JKLV7T0B2X04BM_MxlLX3vR6yRoD0aELSnE9ZCUb0IAOidZxpOcaCuFa8tqwH5wYgWu1lIq3NkMCkKnJfc3oibjXoPFo-dFgbTO25HlTCUPretMDaV4PuAnKwGm4JE4YBf5QMWtAnxeZ-QcYrkXJmfypM=w499-h665-no

Winter.... not much cutting with all the snow/ice.

B440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally got a bar/chain and some good weather to make a couple cuts.
"Trying out the new 122cc G888 (clone of the Stihl 088). 3ft bar, full chisel .404 chain, 8T sprocket, and the rest is all stock. Running 32:1. This is the first tank of fuel. I warmed it up a little with bar/chain on, got the bar oil flowing, and then put it into the 100 year old oak. This is how I break in all my saws.

By the way: Farmertec got all butthurt that I chose a Neotec bar, and removed my post from their group. That's some irony right there ;)"

gurwald

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
their bars are trash, unless they improved the last two years

LoneOak

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
their bars are trash, unless they improved the last two years

Ya, I'm not real impressed with the bar I got from FT. The rails are not equal thickness in the middle portion of the bar on either side. But they do appear to be adequately hardened.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used the Raisman 20" bars w/o any issues, but when my Tree guy gave them a try, they did not last long.

IMO, a sharp chain goes a long way!
I've seen fellow employees smoke a stihl bar in a month and a half. Anything can be conquered with brute force and ignorance.

gurwald

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The bar I bought was for .058 chain and a .063 chain would have been sloppy and it was already started to delaminate before I even put it to use.
Maybe I was unlucky but I cant recommend that to anyone.

Attachments

• 20201004_004231.jpg
    20201004_004231.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 20

B440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The bar I bought was for .058 chain and a .063 chain would have been sloppy and it was already started to delaminate before I even put it to use.
Maybe I was unlucky but I cant recommend that to anyone.

That was a Neotec, or a Holzfforma bar?

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup, my farmertech laminated bar was the same way, it does fit an .063 chain just fine but it's supposed to be a. 058.
Maybe their solid bars are better but I don't think I'll risk it.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just broke the pull starter plastic rope pulley on my Farmertech 880 . This thing is REALLY hard to start. Acts like a LOT of compression. So first question is why is it so hard to start. It will pop and snatch the rope out of your hand. The key and the key slot look fine. This is a new saw. Have only run it once for maybe 5 minutes. Second question should I put in a stihl factory starter. The compression release has been replace with a Stihl one.. Thanks for any help.

Maintenance Chief

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just broke the pull starter plastic rope pulley on my Farmertech 880 . This thing is REALLY hard to start. Acts like a LOT of compression. So first question is why is it so hard to start. It will pop and snatch the rope out of your hand. The key and the key slot look fine. This is a new saw. Have only run it once for maybe 5 minutes. Second question should I put in a stihl factory starter. The compression release has been replace with a Stihl one.. Thanks for any help.

The use of a factory Husqvarna decomp will greatly improve the starting process. Those big saws are notoriously difficult to start when they're tight and not run often , alittle shot of mix down the carburetor will help if its been sitting for longer than a month.
If you've already broken the recoil you can go oem or aftermarket but fighting the pull cord isn't good for either one.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had no luck with AM pull cords on any of my saws. The Stihl Elastostart cords last quite well for me and absorb some of the shock of saws that like to "bite". I replace the cord on every AM saw I build before I use them.

That said, the bigger the saw, the harder it can bite!

Also, make sure your carb is not leaking down into the saw. Hydro lock will make a saw impossible to start.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's totally normal. Those big saws ain't joke. You might nee more "hand speed". Snatching the rope out of your hands means you didn't have enough speed to overcome the ignition advance and the saw kicked back.

Tim N

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The D handle starter helps alot I think with the hard pull

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some people like the D handles, I happen to prefer the elastostart, as it gives you some cushion. It is all a matter of preference, no absolute right answer.

But yes, you have to tighten the cord against the compression and then pull it like you mean it.