sledneck22

But, is the chain sharp?
GoldMember
Local time
3:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had the neighbor drop a saw off the other day. A Stihl ms362 carby model. It's his father in laws.
I open up the case and it reeks of flooded. So I pin the throttle and pull it over a few times and it fires off. But it doesn't stay running. so I check the carb settings, low jet about 4 1/2 turns out and high is 1/2 turn out....
Plug was lean white.

ANYWAY. I go to test in wood, and the chain looks like it was used to cut a gravel trench. still a stock chain, never sharpened since new I'm sure. So I file it sharp and test again. With the limiter cap in the high side (turned all the way out 3/4), I can't get any four stroking. The thing just screams... So I tear the thing apart and get the limiter cap out. Go out to about 1 turn H side. no-4-stroke. try 1 1/2, still screams.
So I test in the wood, 1 1/2 is too much and it bogs in the cut. about 1 1/8 H side is where it liked to cut at. Sounded good and cut strong. However, still no 4-stroke out of the cut.

Here's my questions.
1. this is the first saw I haven't been able to get to 4-stroke but feel confident it'll be fine as long as owner doesn't piss rev out of the cut and IF he keep his chain sharp. Has anyone see this kind of behavior from a saw?
2. EPA regs suck and it's no wonder these saws lean out from factory. How has this saw not blow up yet? (crazy high low jet saving it?) Bar and filth tell me it's seen a fair amount of use.

sledneck22

But, is the chain sharp?
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
fuel filter looked good but didn't remove it.. Gave the carb a quick cleaning and checked diaphrams. (all looked good).

Big_6

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you try a new carb or check the jets?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

sledneck22

But, is the chain sharp?
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No. The owner didn't want to spend any money on the saw. just "get it running". So I warned that i turned the fuel up and sharpened the chains but it should be given more attention.
I don't have time right now for charity work as much as I don't mind helping people out.

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A few things, some saws are incredibly tricky to hear 4 stroking.

Are you sure what you’re hearing is what’s actually happening? As in what you think is rich or lean is not actually the opposite?

I’d suggest going over the carb, check that main nozzel isn’t stuck closed and the lever is set correctly.

Also pressure and vac test it while rotating the crank.

With his attitude of “not wanting to spend money on it” are you sure the carb is OEM and not after market?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While fuel inlet system and tank vent needs to be checked. If you crack open the fuel cap and do it again, will it temporarily 4 stroke? I had a bad vent that drove me nuts, someone put a black went valve in the way an old red flapper valve was supposed to be installed.

Saws get like that when they are on the edge of a fuel restriction. They will sound ok in wood, but when you piss rev the fuel can’t keep up with the airflow.

I guess you warn him that a cheap repair now will likely result in an expensive new saw at a later date.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might have to open the muffler a little to hear the 4 stroke.or do a video of it and then go back and listen

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stick some wadded up paper towel in my ears, sometimes it helps.

sledneck22

But, is the chain sharp?
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah. I agree and asked to have more time to properly diagnose. But owner wanted it back ASAP. I wouldn’t normally hand a saw back over that I thought was questionable. I specifically told the owner. “It’s running lean. I don’t like the plug color and feel the carb adjustment will only be temporary.” But I haven’t heard back so I assume it’ll be a low use saws until she cooks.