High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Ms260 Rebuild by a beginner

Tinkerer Carver

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, I am about to undertake my first saw rebuild and Mastermind told me I should post it, so here I am. For some background, I work at a woodcarving shop and run saws all week long and know how to tune and maintenance them, but have yet to rebuild until now. 8EA99BFE-F7D3-49CE-B3EF-62293AEAEB17.jpeg F5F87764-8937-4238-871C-1554F2B1A716.jpeg D6A0C59B-CC57-41CF-AEED-C8444202C00A.jpeg Included are some pics for why I’m rebuilding.

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool, looks like a great project. Top end only or are there new bearings hiding around there somewhere? OEM top end or trying something else? Welcome and thanks for sharing.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW, I had to remove the tab on the high speed limiter cap on my ms260 because it was running too lean.
I’m pretty sure that was the cause of scoring on two ms271’s I rebuilt recently. Checked out fine other than being too lean on the high jet.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, being lean can cause little strips of scoring like that?

It looks like it really just scored to begin with on the edge of the exhaust port.....then the piston became overly tight in the bore because of the transfer, and forced it to be too tight on the opposite side, lost it's oil film, and then that spot began to transfer. So yes.....I'd say it was lean (because of an air leak, or tune I can't say with any confidence) and began scoring next to the exhaust port where the heat is the highest.

Tinkerer Carver

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cool, looks like a great project. Top end only or are there new bearings hiding around there somewhere? OEM top end or trying something else? Welcome and thanks for sharing.
Top end was the plan for now. I’ve been turning the crank over by hand and looking and listening for anything wrong and it seems to rotate like it should. That said, I’m having my brother who is a welder/machinist help me determine the condition of the bearings

Tinkerer Carver

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
FWIW, I had to remove the tab on the high speed limiter cap on my ms260 because it was running too lean.
I had planned to remove the limiter tabs anyway because I plan to warm it up, but also since mastermind had said running too lean was likely the cause of the scoring

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had planned to remove the limiter tabs anyway because I plan to warm it up, but also since mastermind had said running too lean was likely the cause of the scoring

Too lean can be caused by a lot more than tune alone though.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
8:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We are here to help. Personally have done a few of them 026/260’s.

Which parts do you have? Looks like a 44mm top end to me. I’d use that jug cleaned up, you won’t get the same performance from an AM P&C set. Meteor pistons are fine. That broken fin won’t do a thing.

Do you definitely have a carb with 2 adjustment screws? They came both ways, and IIRC only the Zama has an adjustment limiter. Never seen one on a Walbro on the 1121 model.

If you plan on working on saws, a vacuum and pressure testing tool is a must. In general. A small air leak will result in issues with keeping idle stable. You’ll chase it forever.

You are really forced to go through everything because the saw scored in the first place. Invest in a new oem fuel line and filter and a new oem impulse line. Carb needs to be gone through as well, may as well rebuild it in case there is an issue with fuel supply with the carb itself. The screen may be caked with the debris or there may be a metering issue.

The 1121 is one tough little saw. The bearings are oversized and usually last a very long time. If there is no radial play and they look good, you can probably get by with leaving them alone. A case split may be more than you’re up for at this point.

I know it sounds like a lot, but you can do it.