HELP! Ms250 advice.

Jscb1b

Mister Slapnut
Local time
2:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 3 ms250 that need help. One has a meteor piston and cylinder. The rings are stuck in the groves. The piston is not scored that I can see. Is it worth getting a set of caber rings and cleaning up the piston or getting a piston kit? The second one has a leak at the clam shell. What sealant is recommended? The third needs a new flywheel. OEM or aftermarket? What brand of aftermarket is recommended? The two that are getting split need new seals. Again OEM or aftermarket and what brand? Thanks!

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
9:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 3 ms250 that need help. One has a meteor piston and cylinder. The rings are stuck in the groves. The piston is not scored that I can see. Is it worth getting a set of caber rings and cleaning up the piston or getting a piston kit? The second one has a leak at the clam shell. What sealant is recommended? The third needs a new flywheel. OEM or aftermarket? What brand of aftermarket is recommended? The two that are getting split need new seals. Again OEM or aftermarket and what brand? Thanks!
#2: Dirko HT.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
10:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
#1 your have to dismantle it to properly check the piston, once you’ve done that your have a better idea of what you will need. As It maybe a 4 corner seizure?

You could fit that flywheel on to your #3 for the time being ?

As for seals, it depends on how much $ you want to spend. I think the AM seals are ok but others would possibly disagree..

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
#1 your have to dismantle it to properly check the piston, once you’ve done that your have a better idea of what you will need. As It maybe a 4 corner seizure?

You could fit that flywheel on to your #3 for the time being ?

As for seals, it depends on how much $ you want to spend. I think the AM seals are ok but others would possibly disagree..
I've used the aftermarket seals and haven't had a failure yet. As stated above Stihl uses Dirko sealer so it's probably the best. These 250 saws aren't terribly expensive to buy so I usually don't sink a bunch of money into them buying expensive parts. Ebay has aftermarket flywheels that have worked just fine for me. The Caber rings work great if you clean out the ring grooves.

MSaw

Active OPE Member
Local time
10:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The best sealant I have used is Yamabond, it's absurdly priced and I've mainly used it on marine engines. For your saws where there is minimal chance of warping in the casing etc. and you would be using such a thin skim I would consider any reasonable hylomar type sealant to be perfectly adequate. Personally I wouldn't try to fix all three saws, they had problems (namely the clutch and oiler) and along with the preceding 021, 023 etc. were not Stihls finest hour. Pick the best parts and build one good runner then think about the rest. You may wish to fit a new (genuine, has to be genuine) oiler to pre-empt bar oiling problems. I'd build one and move on.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
4:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The best sealant I have used is Yamabond, it's absurdly priced and I've mainly used it on marine engines. For your saws where there is minimal chance of warping in the casing etc. and you would be using such a thin skim I would consider any reasonable hylomar type sealant to be perfectly adequate. Personally I wouldn't try to fix all three saws, they had problems (namely the clutch and oiler) and along with the preceding 021, 023 etc. were not Stihls finest hour. Pick the best parts and build one good runner then think about the rest. You may wish to fit a new (genuine, has to be genuine) oiler to pre-empt bar oiling problems. I'd build one and move on.
Tons of people have cut firewood for years on a ms 250 and actually are probably one of the toughest homeowner saws made. Yes you see broken ones but it was Stihl’s largest selling saw for years. The sheer numbers they made of them was crazy.

Jscb1b

Mister Slapnut
Local time
2:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dealer had dirko in stock for $18.

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i've used permatex motoseal with zero issues on about 5 items over the last ~10 years, all still running. first was a stihl (039 i think) saw i borrowed that blew crank seals so i rebuilt it. a husqv rancher 450, stihl backpack blower and trimmer, anything 2 stroke i've used it to seal has been great. Got it at either autozone or adv auto.