HELP! MS 660 carb issue

whybother

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an ms 660 I'm working on for a guy. While tuning the carb the low side tuned just fine, the high side is needs to basically be closed to get anywhere close to max rpm. You guys have any ideas why this would be?

I don't know the history of this thing and am wondering if someone may have drilled the low side jet or something similar. It idles and revs up normal just high side adjustment does not make sense to me.

Saw was not running when I received it. I put a new oem cylinder and piston on it along with new crank bearings, gaskets and seals. No performance mods just a muffler mod.

I'm stumped, any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
8:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an ms 660 I'm working on for a guy. While tuning the carb the low side tuned just fine, the high side is needs to basically be closed to get anywhere close to max rpm. You guys have any ideas why this would be?

I don't know the history of this thing and am wondering if someone may have drilled the low side jet or something similar. It idles and revs up normal just high side adjustment does not make sense to me.

Saw was not running when I received it. I put a new oem cylinder and piston on it along with new crank bearings, gaskets and seals. No performance mods just a muffler mod.

I'm stumped, any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Is the metering lever set to the proper height?

whybother

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the metering lever set to the proper height?
I checked it with a straight edge, it looked correct. I'll double check it with the proper tool.

Rebuild the carb?
Cleaned it and put a kit in it while i had the saw apart. Didn't see anything unusually dirty or plugged up. I'll pull it apart and double check it.

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I checked it with a straight edge, it looked correct. I'll double check it with the proper tool.

Cleaned it and put a kit in it while i had the saw apart. Didn't see anything unusually dirty or plugged up. I'll pull it apart and double check it.
If you have a sonic tank, Disassemble including the needles and run in carb cleaner. I use Berrymans since they sell it in non-spray bottles...I get it by the case :p

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
are you sure metering side is put back together correctly? diaphrams in right order i mean

whybother

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have a sonic tank, Disassemble including the needles and run in carb cleaner. I use Berrymans since they sell it in non-spray bottles...I get it by the case :p
No sonic tank yet, it's on the list though. I'll have to remember the Berrymans tip when I get one.

are you sure metering side is put back together correctly? diaphrams in right order i mean
I was 99% sure before, 100% sure now after I ripped it apart again to double check stuff.

Does the carb hold pressure? 7 lb? Could be a leaking Welch plug letting fuel by on the low side or nozzle could be bad. There’s extra fuel coming through the low side if you can close the High.
I thought of this too. It held 7 lb for 5 minutes. I don't think I have anything to measure the nozzle with.

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good that it held pressure. Your nozzle should be good then. If you don’t have an Ultrasonic Cleaner break your carb down and put in a jar with fresh fuel and let it soak overnight. I have an US and when I can’t get a carb cleaned out that’s what I’ll do especially on older antique saws you can’t get anymore or a carbs that’s had a lot of corrosion in it.

I’m presuming this is an OEM carb. If it’s aftermarket a lot of those run way rich an/or are hard to get correct.

whybother

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes it is an OEM carb. I got burned on an aftermarket one once, won't be doing that again...

Debating soaking in fresh fuel only or what my friend calls a Cass County cocktail (mix of Berrymans, seafoam,, marvels mystery oil, and mixed fuel).

@Mastermind is right chainsaws are dumb...

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a new OEM carb for that thing I’d like to re-home.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How does it tune without the airfilter installed?

What’s your altitude?

Have you checked the ignition timing?

Does the saw seem to have power in the cut?

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very early on in my chainsaw experience I too had a 660 (066) that would not tune. I put a kit in the carb and no change. Replaced it with a new carb and “fixed”! I work a little harder on them these days, but then, not so much.

whybother

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a new OEM carb for that thing I’d like to re-home.
I'll PM you, might need it if soaking for a couple days doesn't change this ones attitude.
Very early on in my chainsaw experience I too had a 660 (066) that would not tune. I put a kit in the carb and no change. Replaced it with a new carb and “fixed”! I work a little harder on them these days, but then, not so much.
I'm far from giving up on this carb. It's just testing my patience, I need this tuned and outta here...

whybother

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How does it tune without the airfilter installed?
I did not try this, carb is soaking now. New air filter installed during rebuild
What’s your altitude?
1482 above sea level
Have you checked the ignition timing?
Key is new. pulled the flywheel nut and everything is where it should be yet.
Does the saw seem to have power in the cut?
Haven't cut with it, it's not tuning properly so I did not see a point in that I guess

Chainmale

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How do you find using carb cleaner over petrol in the ultrasonic?