Most smokeless oil/fuel

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does any oil or certain gasoline come to mind that burns the cleanest? With the least amount of exhaust fumes?

Wondering if using a certain oil or maybe even a higher octane gasoline would help. I also mix to 40:1 and was thinking I should go to 50:1. I also just read something on Amsoil Saber that says you can do 100:1 with their oil? I suppose in-tune saws will help. What about mtronic or autotune, would that help? This affects my enjoyment of wood-cutting! Which I like!

This is going to sound weird but it is what it is. I am very "allergic" to exhaust fumes. Not truly allergic but it's very obnoxious to me. Makes my eyes burn and even can affect breathing a bit. I don't like it! Even the exhaust smell that remains on my clothes and in my hair after using a saw bugs me. Same for various chemical smells. Even certain cooking smells from the oven. Smell-good candles that women burn. Over the decades, I have had a couple of chronic health problems (that are now, largely, gone away but the dislike of exhaust fumes remains) that have had doctors scratching their heads. I have had a couple of doctors ask me "Have you ever been poisoned?" Answer is... maybe.

I worked around farm chemicals during teenage years, was involved in a welding accident that may have "injected" pesticide into me because I had open wounds in several places from a welding explosion... and, later, worked several years in an upstairs office that was above a chemical laboratory that regularly burned noxious chemicals that wafted up to our suite and I certainly breathed that. So, perhaps, I'm a candidate for "poisoning."

TIA if you know anything on cleaner exhaust!

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
11:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well stay away from the stihl lubricants even make my eyes water and the fumes Take My Breath Away totally crap oil .
Oh yeah steer clear of high octane fuel unless you have the compression to burn it not many saws do .

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought 91 octane non-E fuel yesterday and was thinking it was great as opposed to 87 octane. But 91 is all they had anyway, lol. Perhaps 91 octane is fine and it would only matter if you got up into the aviation gasoline, which is 100 octane?

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
11:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's fine it's when you get up into the 98 and 100 + you lose power

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would agree with tru fuel and VP being the cleanest. Never ran Aspen

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Canned fuel might win but it's so expensive! If it got bad enough, I'd do it but I'll try to find a mix solution.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can over drive them, maybe gauge them (increase wire gauge), there's stuff to be done to electrics largely dependent on cooling and desired duty cycle.

I too hate the exhaust smell. I haven't pinned down if it is the gas exhaust that makes my eyes burn, or only because of certain oils. I'm usually not bothered by it depending on wind direction and whether I have a big saw making a stump cut.

I imagine a 4 stroke saw running aspen or alcohol wouldn't be so bad.

Smokeless oil I think just has to do with the flash point or how much it gets burned in the engine or something which could I guess be like a dew point for oil vapor. It is still there whether or not you see the smoke.

Build a bigger electric, and use a backpack battery...or two.

huskyhank

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One thing you might be able to do is to do a muffler mod that blows the exhaust more away from you when running the saw. This can make a big difference in comfort and how much fumes you breathe.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I read the interwebz right 91 will never be fully combusted in these low compression ratio motors and you'll be sending un burnt fuel out.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I read the interwebz right 91 will never be fully combusted in these low compression ratio motors and you'll be sending un burnt fuel out.
That is interesting to know, I started using aspen, no idea what grade it is.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can over drive them, maybe gauge them (increase wire gauge), there's stuff to be done to electrics largely dependent on cooling and desired duty cycle.

I too hate the exhaust smell. I haven't pinned down if it is the gas exhaust that makes my eyes burn, or only because of certain oils. I'm usually not bothered by it depending on wind direction and whether I have a big saw making a stump cut.

I imagine a 4 stroke saw running aspen or alcohol wouldn't be so bad.

Smokeless oil I think just has to do with the flash point or how much it gets burned in the engine or something which could I guess be like a dew point for oil vapor. It is still there whether or not you see the smoke.

Build a bigger electric, and use a backpack battery...or two.
Would love to see the large battery saws come along.

OldJack

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Aspen is good but expensive. It's available in approximately gallon sized jugs at a better price per unit than the small popcan sized cans. I haven't run it for a while but I don't recall a bad stink.

This won't be any help to you in Louisiana, but Stihl Canada orange top bottle oil stinks much less than Dolmar, Husqvarna or Tanaka oils which smell the same to me.

PJLink

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The other week i ran VP C9 mixed 32:1 with maxima K2. Normally, when i mix the same ratio with 93 octane pump gas the exhaust smells pretty damn bad - this time with VP C9 i had little to no odor. It was completely bizarre. Exhaust smelled slightly sweet, nothing else, no smoke, nothing. Im going to grab another couple of gallons and see if the same thing happens, too odd for this to happen and not test it again. Maybe this happened because C9 is non ethanol and no MTBE :nusenuse::nusenuse:. My saws also seemed to run a bit cooler, and definitely noticed a touch more grunt from them. I dont cut daily, but if this is what i can expect from VP C9 then i'll definitely use it when i can. Food for thought.