drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
6:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We’re you able to swap out the choke shafts? The HD carb on it should have had the 361 choke shaft installed. Makes it plug and play.

I went through this saw and it’s quite a runner.

Do you have the stock airbox cover Cole?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The story on this saw was that it was a typical JMS job. I found some pics.

He did some type of rotten popup. As usual, port work looked great, but he did shoddy machine work.

Ex flange was cracked and poorly redone as an M6-again it’s typical. Jason told me on one then more occasion that there was no need to tap a stripped M5 bolt out, just ram an M6 bolt in. This is why his stuff cracked. The ex flange has an M6 timesert in it because the hole was too big for a proper M5, I V’d the crack and welded it, left the extra meat on it.

The base was off by .004. This was corrected. There is a pic of true center vs what he used on the top of the jug. The band was recut on the lathe and squish came in at a true 22.

This saw ran so well, and the numbers wound up being a no choice option, that my newer 361 adopted the same recipe. I had to cut the muffler open to take out the inner restrictor that he left clanking around in it. The muffler was tig brazed back together.

Here are some pics I found.

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh yes, the saw also had the 361 boot still on it. Made no sense.

I added an 1128 boot to it and matched the intake snout to the boot.

Jason’s porting was never an issue. His machining, fit/finish and integrity left a lot to be desired.

I may buy this saw back if no one jumps on it. They are a tru one saw plan, especially with the 460 oil pump. Can run a 16-28 inch 3/8 bar all day.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not quite the one saw plan but close as one might get if you had to. Plugging in the 28" is much better with skip. Even the 24" with full comp does much better than the 28" with full comp buried.
Did Jason get his exhaust port dimensions from Brad?
They both make huge exhaust port exits.

Full skip it should pull a 32"

This thing sailed yet ;-)

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How is this still here? You know that if Al fixed the problems it is done right. With a prettier clutch cover this is a $550-600 saw
More like $800-900, I’m not kidding.

If you add up the port job, the 1128 parts and the custom v-stack. And that’s to a $300 fair base 361.

Let’s not forget that a 361 done similarly was one of the top contenders on the dyno in the 60cc class (even thou it’s 59cc).

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
More like $800-900, I’m not kidding.

If you add up the port job, the 1128 parts and the custom v-stack. And that’s to a $300 fair base 361.

Let’s not forget that a 361 done similarly was one of the top contenders on the dyno in the 60cc class (even thou it’s 59cc).
Dyno numbers don't really interest me. A good running work tool does with a broad power band. These do tend to be peaky but if you like that it has plenty of it with the tinny rotating assembly.
These built saws have far more grunt than stock. The last one I sold the guy says he can not start it it seems. Just a base gasket delete with a bit if sanding and the decomp is there. I told him this saw runs perfect. Bet he forgot how to use a decomp and proper starting procedure cause he owns a John Deere and some other tiny thing, homeowner. Lifted the transfer ports and widened the intake but nothing fancy. He sent me a text complaining about it and I've since heard nothing. It's got some mild poor work in it and a dual port muffler with a stock carb $500 with fresh seals and a new Meteor top piston kit. The guy waited for it. Guess he got it started because that was over a week ago. They always sell before most are even gone through. Wish I had ten more but only three here now.

If your staring at this add you will be sorry you missed it when you get to run one sometime :b1:
Built many and ran at least ten different ported ones. All were sweet runners but one. That one had a single port muffler like my stock 362 dog.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to hi-Jack the thread but I want to put the word out that this saw is headed here to Louisiana! So if you were contemplating buying it, too late!
Well played. I got hot on a blackjack table today and almost contacted the seller. Glad it's going to a good home.