Miller Mod Saws and the CS-500P Echo!

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bumping this great thread as a reference point for Red's 490 build.

If these saws as is can compete with a Masterminded 346, they're a solid foundation.

I may try my hand at one.

I see you speaking of them not liking more ignition advance. Has anyone tried .005 off the key at a time with no other changes?
I love how you think Al. Always trying to find that last little bit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
7:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bumping this great thread as a reference point for Red's 490 build.

If these saws as is can compete with a Masterminded 346, they're a solid foundation.

I may try my hand at one.

I see you speaking of them not liking more ignition advance. Has anyone tried .005 off the key at a time with no other changes?
Bump away. That's why we do these. :)
And i havnt tried advancing it on a stock saw if that's what ya mean.
You would like them. There little and cheap. The transfers are a *b-word. However that said with some patience you could port this saw without a right angle head piece because of the removable trans covers.

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bump away. That's why we do these. :)
And i havnt tried advancing it on a stock saw if that's what ya mean.
You would like them. There little and cheap. The transfers are a *b-word. However that said with some patience you could port this saw without a right angle head piece because of the removable trans covers.
I was speaking of the ones you ported. I may not have followed along well and I don't feel like looking through the AS thread and getting aggravated by it.

This site is just great. Constructive criticism and good questions. No bickering over nonsense and no authoritative "you're doing it all wrong" posts.

I've learned more here in three months than I did in over a year on AS.

EDIT: I had to peek at the AS thread. Made it though 7 pages. Sheet, wtf is going on over there.

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have to pull the transfer covers on mine. I really want to open the ex sides first and at near 90* entry angle. Maybe by 1-2*.

I see those covers being an advantage, not just to someone who doesn't own a R angle piece. I was quite intrigued by how they looked after you ported the jug the traditional way. God only knows what the angles look like on the closed transfers we cannot see. I really think that entry angle and what's going on at that curve plays a huge role in saw performance.

Also wondering if there is room to drill some small boost ports from the outside of the uppers straight through into the cylinder bore. Just a thought, that's all.

One more question, the air filter looks restrictive. Did you try taching it w/wo the air filter? I can see it being easy to remix the flocking and add some metal mesh.

Last edited:

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have to pull the transfer covers on mine. I really want to open the ex sides first and at near 90* entry angle. Maybe by 1-2*.

I see those covers being an advantage, not just to someone who doesn't own a R angle piece. I was quite intrigued by how they looked after you ported the jug the traditional way. God only knows what the angles look like on the closed transfers we cannot see. I really think that entry angle and what's going on at that curve plays a huge role in saw performance.

Also wondering if there is room to drill some small boost ports from the outside of the uppers straight through into the cylinder bore. Just a thought, that's all.

One more question, the air filter looks restrictive. Did you try taching it w/wo the air filter? I can see it being easy to remix the flocking and add some metal mesh.

Did you Ever try this

Last edited: