Mikes chainvises

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
7:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is a home made version (Grandpatractor?), photographed at a GTG. One of the issues you can see is that the farther the vise is placed, vertically and horizontally, from the receiver, the more sway/flexing/movement there is. On this one, they used web straps to try and stabilize it, but I would go for a shorter one for a more rigid, stable mount.

PhilbertView attachment 158585

Yes. Good point. I wondering at what point it would flex and move too much. May not be moving much at the hitch but at the vice it will be potentially..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My setup looks low, but I just put my rear wheels on 2x6s. The height is perfect. And I use a small bottle jack under the hitch mount with a little pressure. No movement.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
6:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guess we should get this thread back to Mike's chain vises, and less on tbe vises to hold them?

Anyone just bolt one to a piece of wood?

Philbert

NCPT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There may be a better way to do this but found a way to find damaged drag links. Threw a chain yesterday before dark and was trying to find the damaged drag links when this dawned on me....worked good at finding the links that needed touching up. You could feel the damaged links as they passed through the radius end of the vise.
20190114_165346.jpg

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guess we should get this thread back to Mike's chain vises, and less on the vises to hold them?

Anyone just bolt one to a piece of wood?

Philbert
That's funny, so another way to hold them lol.
You've seen how I use the "rub rail" type setup to hold some of my grinders to the front of my bench, seems attaching his chain vise to a 2x8 with a couple bolts would work great for something quick to install/remove.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
seems attaching his chain vise to a 2x8 with a couple bolts would work great for something quick to install/remove.
Depends on each situation. Bolted to a piece of wood, this type of chain vise could easily be inserted into a machinist's or woodworking vise; clamped to the edge of many tables, trailers, etc.; or be fitted with holes to bolt into a dedicated location. Or moved between several locations. Even a post to slide into the stake hole on many pickup trucks.

Whatever works for that user.

Philbert

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just bought a couple loops of Oregon square chain. Are you guys using the radius part for that or the straight. Or whatever works?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Please don't go by me, but I use the flat spot furthest away from the nose and I only do 1 cutter on each side at a time. I use the rear portion because of the tightening handles. My file was hitting the black handles at certain spots, so I just use the back end to avoid the handles.
Make sense? lol

When I round file I use the entire length of the flat to sharpen cutters. With 3/8" round chain I sharpen 3 cutters on each side, then move the chain.

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Please don't go by me, but I use the flat spot furthest away from the nose and I only do 1 cutter on each side at a time. I use the rear portion because of the tightening handles. My file was hitting the black handles at certain spots, so I just use the back end to avoid the handles.
Make sense? lol

When I round file I use the entire length of the flat to sharpen cutters. With 3/8" round chain I sharpen 3 cutters on each side, then move the chain.

Roger that.

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make sense? lol

Try using the nose for square filling. I'm no master yet but getting closer all the time.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will give it a looksee. TY.

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any vids of this technique in action?

I'm going to cut with the factory grind first then try it out like lumberjak said. Right now i'm trying to get my round filing back on track. The last thing I need is to practice square filing... but I have to try it :roto2cafe: