Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
12:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did not watch the video, but I own an Oregon 511 AX and have lots of time on that machine, as well as the Stihl USG grinder. I can tell you, hands down, I wish I would have run the Stihl before buying my Oregon. The Oregon works just fine, and had the support needed to keep it in shape, BUT the fit and finish and tightness of the machine work on the Stihl make it a much more desirable grinder to use IMO.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The MAXX is the first "grinding" option which I tried that made me say "this is fine, this will work".
I am not saying that it is flawless, quite on the contrary - but it works perfectly fine for my needs and requirements.
Since I first started using the MAXX grinder (I was hesitant and skeptical at first) I am now grinding about 75% of my work chains as opposed to roller guide hand filing them all.
I can easily keep track of ground and filed chains as I utilize one chain per saw, and switch saws on the job when a chain gets dull.

Will a different brand grinder do a better job?
Yes, though possibly at a higher price tag!

Is it possible that the MAXX will meet Your needs?
Yes, if all You want is a good cutting round ground chain!

For 320€ including international shipping and 5 wheels, 3 pink, 2 diamond, I am craving to purchase another MAXX - that is how much I came to like this grinder.

Last edited:

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did not watch the video, but I own an Oregon 511 AX and have lots of time on that machine, as well as the Stihl USG grinder. I can tell you, hands down, I wish I would have run the Stihl before buying my Oregon. The Oregon works just fine, and had the support needed to keep it in shape, BUT the fit and finish and tightness of the machine work on the Stihl make it a much more desirable grinder to use IMO.
T1!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are comparing two very different grinders. The MAXX is a single user machine, despite its ‘PRO’ name.

The STIHL USG is a heavy duty shop grade, professional machine, at probably twice the price.

In between you miss the Oregon 520 grinder, which could be used by an individual or a small shop. It is literally the current version of ‘the standard’. Meaning that it is widely copied, and parts are widely available.

Plus, it takes up less room. Some guys or shops end up with three of them, each set up for different chains.

Philbert

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are comparing two very different grinders. The MAXX is a single user machine, despite its ‘PRO’ name.

The STIHL USG is a heavy duty shop grade, professional machine, at probably twice the price.

In between you miss the Oregon 520 grinder, which could be used by an individual or a small shop. It is literally the current version of ‘the standard’. Meaning that it is widely copied, and parts are widely available.

Plus, it takes up less room. Some guys or shops end up with three of them, each set up for different chains.

Philbert
Thanks for posting. The USG is almost double the price of the Ama MAXX Pro.
I did have a look at the Oregon Grinders, but most people say Get the USG,
its a tighter built Grinder, it should last longer all things being equal.
I want to sharpen my own chains, and when I get proficient I will sharpen
for others too. I also hear the wheels for the Stihl are quite good, will last me
a good while until I learn to shape them, and take care of them during use.

I can completely understand why people would set up a few grinders to sharpen
the different cutters, that would save a mountain of time and keep things simpler too.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also hear the wheels for the Stihl are quite good, will last me
a good while until I learn to shape them, and take care of them during use.
Grinders are not ‘automatic’, even the automatic grinders. They take knowledge, skill, and experience to use effectively. Without this, you get the type of poor results that give grinders a bad name. Part of this is the need to dress the grinding wheel for each loop, to constantly expose fresh abrasive. Any brand.

If you are also a member on the A.S. forum, I can send you a link for tips on grinder use. Too much to retype here.

Philbert

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looked it up, 1200+$ for the USG? :eek:

I'd rather set up 4 MAXX grinders and get a total of 20 wheels with them.

How much is the suggested Oregon? o_O
Going to look it up.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Grinders are not ‘automatic’, even the automatic grinders. They take knowledge, skill, and experience to use effectively. Without this, you get the type of poor results that give grinders a bad name. Part of this is the need to dress the grinding wheel for each loop, to constantly expose fresh abrasive. Any brand.

If you are also a member on the A.S. forum, I can send you a link for tips on grinder use. Too much to retype here.

Philbert

Philbert

Attachments

• Account-Suspended-.jpg
    Account-Suspended-.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 17

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It should be noted that I have 2 similar grinders: the Oregon 511AX and an older Tecomec I got as a hand-me-down from the shop I learned to grind at (when they upgraded to a fully automatic Franzen).. I leave the raker wheel on the Tecomec and just do the teeth on the Oregon... But I would still rather have the Stihl USG and switch wheels as necessary - it only takes a moment to do so, the wheel materials are superior, and they are more accurate IMO and experience.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It should be noted that I have 2 similar grinders: the Oregon 511AX and an older Tecomec I got as a hand-me-down from the shop I learned to grind at (when they upgraded to a fully automatic Franzen).. I leave the raker wheel on the Tecomec and just do the teeth on the Oregon... But I would still rather have the Stihl USG and switch wheels as necessary - it only takes a moment to do so, the wheel materials are superior, and they are more accurate IMO and experience.
Thank you for posting. Seems to be the same story regarding the USG,
others are having similar experiences.
I have not heard from the dealer yet, I am looking for a 240 volt.

Is that 511 the update of the 520.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some people really like it. It is something that could go wrong. The basic version is not ‘bombproof’, but simple and easy to maintain.

There are other Tecomec versions that have fewer features (e.g. wheel wear compensation adjustment), but stay away from the clones.

Philbert

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I will know how the USG works out in Three weeks,
delays are becoming a real pain these days.
LOL, three weeks are no delay! :risas3:

Try two months, and still have items missing from Your order! :confundio1:

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LOL, three weeks are no delay! :risas3:

Try two months, and still have items missing from Your order! :confundio1:
That's a long wait @Wilhelm , is that with Stihl too.
I could have the USG sooner if I wanted to deal with someone who wants
way too much for one, so I will wait and save €225.00

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a long wait @Wilhelm , is that with Stihl too.
I could have the USG sooner if I wanted to deal with someone who wants
way too much for one, so I will wait and save €225.00
Yes, Stihl was already slow with parts delivery even before COVID!

The sad thing is, Dolmar was fast, 3-5 work days to my doorstep in Croatia from Germany, rarely ever any ordered item missing.
Makita broke Dolmar, it is like they want the Dolmar brand destroyed!

Yeah, don't give Your hard earned cash to greedy dealers!!!
Three weeks is nothing.