Machined my version of Lucky Dog Manufacturing Rotary tool

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
3:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. That is for the handpiece kit with two burrs and an extra head. That way they can get right to porting!
Right... I honestly tell the local guys that port to go onto your site to purchase your tool... It's a great product for a great price. Truth be told, seeing Your tool motivated me to machine my own...
Sadly enough, not too many people nowadays have the skillset, knowledge or even the desire to try and do things like what you and others do....

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a niche market from my view point .First would be the skill set then the machine .I have the machine,a Monarche 10" EE and the tooling but not the desire .Weather I have the skill set I really don't know .
My 2 cents this device would be of very good use for someone who reworked a lot of cylind
ers .However someone like myself who might only do that work once every two years not so much. You can do a lot with a Dremel and long shafted burs although you might go blind working with a mirror where every movement is backwards .My poor old beat up 75 year old fingers hurt just thinking about it .

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a niche market from my view point .First would be the skill set then the machine .I have the machine,a Monarche 10" EE and the tooling but not the desire .Weather I have the skill set I really don't know .
My 2 cents this device would be of very good use for someone who reworked a lot of cylind
ers .However someone like myself who might only do that work once every two years not so much. You can do a lot with a Dremel and long shafted burs although you might go blind working with a mirror where every movement is backwards .My poor old beat up 75 year old fingers hurt just thinking about it .
Valid points. Those Monarchs 10" are Nice. The most difficult part in making these would be threading for most people. Everything else is straight fwd and simple, basic really. ODs, IDs and Lengths. I have an infatuation with machining threads and cutting gears... a long dremel will work ok, but, imo... ideally you want to be able to reach towards the back of the transfers to help with flow characteristics. Before i had a transfer tool I've messed around with chamfering and angling the material on the piston to get my desired numbers... is it the most effective? No. Does it work? Absolutely. Many ways to skin a cat, but there are only a few ways to get the saws to run at their peak.... I am always searching and tinkering with stuff to find what the saw likes more. Lol

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From my perspective threads are not that difficult but real tiny ones you'd need to use a magnifying glass and brilliant light source and a really sharp tool .The challenge would be a gear that tiny .I don't think my 1940's vintage Bridgeport could do it .BTW I do have a right angle dentists drill but it takes the special dental tooling which I have some .At the moment I have no idea where it's at .

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From my perspective threads are not that difficult but real tiny ones you'd need to use a magnifying glass and brilliant light source and a really sharp tool .The challenge would be a gear that tiny .I don't think my 1940's vintage Bridgeport could do it .BTW I do have a right angle dentists drill but it takes the special dental tooling which I have some .At the moment I have no idea where it's at .
Watch makers/machinists are absolutely incredible... those guys make micro gears, levers, springs... etc.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was going to suggest perhaps a watch makers lathe would be the hot ticket for jobs like these .I looked them up on flea bay .On that I've seen table top precision lathes but never an actual watch makers lathe .These things have minature dividing heads ,tiny little chucks ,little colletts every thing is just shrunken in size . The smallest chuck I have is a 4" precison Sunnen chuck that came from an OD grinder which I've never used .The largest I have is 20" 4 jaw I cannot even lift which would not be a good choice to make a gear with a 1/4" major diameter .Most likely would work to reface a brake drum for a dump truck but I do that with a 12" three jaw .

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to cut gears manually... helical, spur, worm, bevel, etc... I machined custom output shafts for the Jeep Dana20 transfer cases... way back when on Pirate4x4 I had a thread... 'machining my own custom HD dana 20 output shaft' or something to that affect... for whatever reason all of my photobucket account pictures were erased... something. I went through the complete stages of making the shaft/gear/splines and housing... those were fun days.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, the smooth black anodized materials came in... now I'm just waiting on the knurled black anodized aluminum...
I've pushed the Chinese parts pretty hard, found a couple two or 3 weak spots, fixed those and now its time to step it up to find the next weak point...
These new ones will be Black, "Gold" and Silver...

Attachments

• 20230403_211205.jpg
    20230403_211205.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 13

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man, was that really that long ago? I remember when you first posted that!
That's what I said! I made a few shafts... ones out in Oregon and Minnesota (I believe)... between schooling, deployment, change of jobs and life... all of that 4x4, buggies, mudders took a back seat...
Photobucket screwed us all huh?
Idk about that... I kinda remember doing something, maybe trying to create folders and categorizing pics?... it's been too long and my memory is *s-word! Anyway the next day or so all of my pictures were gone.. Til this day, idk wtf i did. 😅😪 I tried contacting them and got no help/assistance. So I said fawk it. I'm literally a caveman... these new laptops and phones suck... when I purchased my phone and truck all of my friends were in shock... theybwere used to seeing me in a squarebody Chevy and only being able to contact me through a land line/home phone...
Now... once my contract is up I'm ditching this cell and when my 2500 takes a *s-word I'm reverting back to an older vehicle and smoke signals.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's what I said! I made a few shafts... ones out in Oregon and Minnesota (I believe)... between schooling, deployment, change of jobs and life... all of that 4x4, buggies, mudders took a back seat...

Idk about that... I kinda remember doing something, maybe trying to create folders and categorizing pics?... it's been too long and my memory is *s-word! Anyway the next day or so all of my pictures were gone.. Til this day, idk wtf i did. 😅😪 I tried contacting them and got no help/assistance. So I said fawk it. I'm literally a caveman... these new laptops and phones suck... when I purchased my phone and truck all of my friends were in shock... theybwere used to seeing me in a squarebody Chevy and only being able to contact me through a land line/home phone...
Now... once my contract is up I'm ditching this cell and when my 2500 takes a *s-word I'm reverting back to an older vehicle and smoke signals.
A lot of my old threads on Arboristsite lost their pictures too. Photobucket wanted 100s of dollars a year to help.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of my old threads on Arboristsite lost their pictures too. Photobucket wanted 100s of dollars a year to help.
I can't stand companies that try to swindle people.
I guess once a server *s-words the bed pretty much all is lost?
but, I thought once *s-word goes to interweb, its always there... not the case. I lost a lot of cool *s-word... i lost a lot of pics from lost or broken phones over the years... I got to the point where I said the hell with electronics... well, years later... here I am thumbing away on this stupid phone.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Photobucket is a joke. They went from working great, to not working at all, unless you paid them that is. Sorry, not.going to happen.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable price. But want they wanted was not reasonable.
Like most things, sensible people will pay more for quality and at the same time those very same people will slam the door shut once they feel like some BS is going on.