GoldMember
Local time
10:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks great, what a handy saw!😃
She is perfect for small jobs!

But she doesn't shy away from bigger responsibility either as long as there are spare full battery packs and I own 5 functional of these 36Volt packs that ensure a decent autonomy. :)

julie wolf

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
She is perfect for small jobs!

But she doesn't shy away from bigger responsibility either as long as there are spare full battery packs and I own 5 functional of these 36Volt packs that ensure a decent autonomy. :)
How long does one battery typically last you when you are cutting brush, Or small logs?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How long does one battery typically last you when you are cutting brush, Or small logs?
Therein lies the rub, so to speak.

Branching 2" OD and under a battery charge holds up well, hard to specify a timespan maybe 15+ minutes.
In 3-4" stuff the battery goes fast, maybe half a dozen cuts or so.
Kinda depends on the wood species being cut, and whether it is green or dry.

The Makita UC250D kinda likes a cut here and there with time in between cuts for the battery to recoup.
Numerous successive cuts will cause the battery pack to get quite warm and heat buildup kills Li-Ion cells.

julie wolf

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Therein lies the rub, so to speak.

Branching 2" OD and under a battery charge holds up well, hard to specify a timespan maybe 15+ minutes.
In 3-4" stuff the battery goes fast, maybe half a dozen cuts or so.
Kinda depends on the wood species being cut, and whether it is green or dry.

The Makita UC250D kinda likes a cut here and there with time in between cuts for the battery to recoup.
Numerous successive cuts will cause the battery pack to get quite warm and heat buildup kills Li-Ion cells.
Thank you. That's good information to know. My Milwaukee Hatchet likes the start stop brush cuttting, and lasts a reasonably long time when doing brush, but it only has a little 12 volt battery. So like you I keep a few charged and ready to go when I know I will be cutting brush and small logs. I favor it (right now anyway) because I can cut one handed and hold onto the brush with the other and not lose control of the brush or the saw.

I may have to look more closely at the Makita for the future.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you. That's good information to know. My Milwaukee Hatchet likes the start stop brush cuttting, and lasts a reasonably long time when doing brush, but it only has a little 12 volt battery. So like you I keep a few charged and ready to go when I know I will be cutting brush and small logs. I favor it (right now anyway) because I can cut one handed and hold onto the brush with the other and not lose control of the brush or the saw.

As You may have seen, I also own a Makita DUC353 which is a dual 18Volt (18+18) battery powered chainsaw with rear handle.
That one is a BL (brush less) unit and I don't like it much - as can be noticed since I don't post any usage of her.
The DUC353 shuts down due to overheating of the BL electronics and there is nothing one can do to circumvent it until it cools down.
The brushed motor driven UC250D does not have this issue, that brushed motor just keeps going.

The brushed motor driven Makita UC250D is the "old design" and my understanding is that it is no longer offered unless old stock is found.

Also, Makita abandoned the 36 Volt battery pack system in favor of their 18 Volt and 40 Volt systems.

In case You venture into the Makitaverse, do a detailed research as in which battery system to invest.
FYI, I did not do my research and by now I sunk a big wad of cash into my Makita battery equipment.

I know Makita offers little top handle saws powered by a single 18 Volt pack, dual 18 Volt packs, and 40 Volt packs.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They don't sell that model in the states do they?
They might have, possibly under a different model designation?!

I don't really know though, Makita marketing is not my domain.

The Makita UC250D is a discontinued model, as such finding one will be either NOS or used.

This is Makita's current offering

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Milwaukee makes what looks to be the best battery powered saws, but their high capacity batteries use pouch cells that die after 6 months. So 6Ah x2 @18V is the biggest capacity, though the batteries also work in their other cordless equipment.

Otherwise they have incredible torque and don't overheat, and are fast for a battery saw.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Milwaukee makes what looks to be the best battery powered saws, but their high capacity batteries use pouch cells that die after 6 months. So 6Ah x2 @18V is the biggest capacity, though the batteries also work in their other cordless equipment.

Otherwise they have incredible torque and don't overheat, and are fast for a battery saw.
I have opened several different Makita battery packs and came to a sad conclusion - Makita intentionally utilizes low capacity 18650 Li-Ion cells and on top of that the utilized cells have only an average max discharge rating of about 20A.
This results in short equipment runtime and frequent battery pack failures due to cells burning out rendering a pack useless.
Unless You purchase their "high capacity" packs that cost an arm and leg and are significantly bigger in size and weight.

For example these 36 Volt battery packs are rated 2.2Ah and 2.6Ah.
They both contain 20 18650 Li-Ion cells.
That means Makita uses 1.1Ah and 1.3Ah cells in a battery pack that retails at over 300€, is intended for power hogging equipment, and they are not offering higher capacity packs for this system at all!
3.0Ah 40A 18650 Li-Ion cells are very common for a long while now, 2.2-2.6Ah 30A cells even longer and these are considered "the minimal norm" for 18650 cells - utilizing these would have boosted capacity to 4.4 to 6.0 Ah doubling and even tripling battery stamina WITHOUT size increase and next to no weight gain!
Instead Makita abandons the 36 Volt battery system and pushes their 40 Volt system (that is not backward compatible) onto the market.

I purchased a "dead" EGO battery pack intending to slaughter it and repack its 3.0Ah 18650 cells into one or more of my Makita packs, but the "wiring" within the Makita 36 Volt pack makes me puke and I have no need to repack my 18 Volt Makita packs since I rarely use them - as such this endeavor is halted.

I personally am quite disappointed in Makita as a brand.
With Milwaukee and DeWalt arriving and gaining popularity in my market area (most likely Europe in general) Makita will loose a fair share of their previously dominating market presence and popularity.
I won't shed a single tear, that's certain!

Now, lets go back to chips. :)

Last edited:

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have Milwaukee batteries that are way older than 6 months and still working. You really don’t know what you are talking about. Plus Milwaukee warranties their batteries for three years.

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have Milwaukee batteries that are way older than 6 months and still working. You really don’t know what you are talking about. Plus Milwaukee warranties their batteries for three years.
:risas3:
I live in Milwaukee, own quite a few of their tools, and am friends with several of their executives, i might know something about Milwaukee Tool.
🧐

Look at the thousands of large capacity complaints on the Milwaukee corporate site, they often do not warranty them, despite the print on the package. The solution is to use 6AH (or smaller) batteries. (Note the currently remaining 400+ posts are after Milwaukee removed over 1,000 posts claiming they failed to honor the warranty, some providing full documentation.) Their chainsaw came with two of the 12ah batteries and sparked many of the complaints. The 8ah battery comments regarding warranty were almost completely removed, I'll add pictures of the few remaining. Note I'm not ripping on Milwaukee, I own their tools almost exclusively, it's the high-capacity battery failures and lack of warranty support keeping me from buying their cordless chainsaw.

The batteries also have spot wild failures.

Better yet, after winning a $27.8M lawsuit (details) Milwaukee is the only company able to make lithium powered tools (over 20 amps, unless a licensing agreement is in place).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240317_105023_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240317_105023_Firefox.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240317_105034_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240317_105034_Firefox.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240317_105128_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240317_105128_Firefox.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240317_105215_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240317_105215_Firefox.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240317_104706_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240317_104706_Firefox.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 2

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:risas3:
I live in Milwaukee, own quite a few of their tools, and am friends with several of their executives, i might know something about Milwaukee Tool.
🧐

Look at the thousands of large capacity complaints on the Milwaukee corporate site, they often do not warranty them, despite the print on the package. The solution is to use 6AH (or smaller) batteries. (Note the currently remaining 400+ posts are after Milwaukee removed over 1,000 posts claiming they failed to honor the warranty, some providing full documentation.) Their chainsaw came with two of the 12ah batteries and sparked many of the complaints. The 8ah battery comments regarding warranty were almost completely removed, I'll add pictures of the few remaining. Note I'm not ripping on Milwaukee, I own their tools almost exclusively, it's the high-capacity battery failures and lack of warranty support keeping me from buying their cordless chainsaw.

The batteries also have spot wild failures.

Better yet, after winning a $27.8M lawsuit (details) Milwaukee is the only company able to make lithium powered tools (over 20 amps, unless a licensing agreement is in place).
I run Milwaukee tools daily and while I have had batteries fail within a year they replace them under warranty. Why don’t you go read about all the other manufacturers see if they have their own issues. You own tools but do you use them? I have personally had a 12ah and 9 ah replaced under warranty so I take your post with a grain of salt. 🧂

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run Milwaukee tools daily and while I have had batteries fail within a year they replace them under warranty. Why don’t you go read about all the other manufacturers see if they have their own issues. You own tools but do you use them? I have personally had a 12ah and 9 ah replaced under warranty so I take your post with a grain of salt. 🧂
Those people probably did not know you need to use a charger!;)

julie wolf

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Relax Brad I sais I 'may have to' not that I was going to..

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's pretty condescending for not knowing someone's background.

Milwaukee has never had balance circuits in their batteries, that's what's causing problems with lithium batteries because unlike NiCd that can take balance current lithium cannot. If the 5x3 internal batteries get out of balance the pack throws an error and it's degraded or dead.

It's good your packs have matched cells, for the people who weren't so lucky they're out a bunch of money unless they can wire in a BMS, and that's not too many tradesmen.