Let's See Them Chips !!!!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like a neat little saw there, 'specially if you already use Makita battery stuff. I have to admit, the battery stuff is quite appealing at least for really light duty occasional use. You just need to cut a few little pieces, pull the trigger and go.

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like a neat little saw there, 'specially if you already use Makita battery stuff. I have to admit, the battery stuff is quite appealing at least for really light duty occasional use. You just need to cut a few little pieces, pull the trigger and go.
And from my experience empty the oil afterward, or they leak like the Titanic. (may not apply to all electric saws)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My little 36Volt Makita UC250D is a gem!
Old school brushed motor, pulls trough any load without overloading or overheating (unlike my DUC353, junk!).
Perfectly balanced for one hand usage with 10" B&C.
Batteries are expensive and don't pack much stamina unfortunately.
And, Makita abandoned this 36Volt system just to push their 40Volt stuff.

And from my experience empty the oil afterward, or they leak like the Titanic. (may not apply to all electric saws)
My two battery Makita saws don't leak!

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Wilhelm : The brushless motors seem to make more torque and be more efficient from the tools I've used.

I was looking at a Milwaukee brushless chainsaw for in-tree use and would have bought one EXCEPT the batteries they come with along with the high amp-hour replacements die a premature death and Milwaukee Electric Tool refuses to warranty them so the saw is effectively godawful expensisve. Note the Chinese bought the company and changed to the Red line of batteries, so make of it what you will.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is why I'm nowhere near ready to embrace electric OPE. Too many different batteries and most of the tools look like throwaway plastic junk, even the name brand ones. I walk past the Stihl battery stuff at work and think "Ugh, who designed this crap?"

ZERO

Simple Life
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do have to say I am very impressed with how much advancement has been made in the battery space.

I have slowly expanded my Husky battery stuff and both the BLI200 and BLI300 hold under heavy use. I thus far have not seen any problems with any battery pack.

For the older tools, there may be companies in your country that rebuild with quality cells for half the cost.

I just bought some extra rebuild batteries for my nicd dewalt tools from 20 years ago and all is well.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Wilhelm : The brushless motors seem to make more torque and be more efficient from the tools I've used.

I was looking at a Milwaukee brushless chainsaw for in-tree use and would have bought one EXCEPT the batteries they come with along with the high amp-hour replacements die a premature death and Milwaukee Electric Tool refuses to warranty them so the saw is effectively godawful expensisve. Note the Chinese bought the company and changed to the Red line of batteries, so make of it what you will.
The sad thing is that Makita utilizes low amp/hour 18650 cells with poor drain capabilities, as such their packs lack stamina and overheat too easily.
Come on, the name Makita should stand for something and making a quality battery pack is no rocket science.

This is why I'm nowhere near ready to embrace electric OPE. Too many different batteries and most of the tools look like throwaway plastic junk, even the name brand ones. I walk past the Stihl battery stuff at work and think "Ugh, who designed this crap?"
Makita advertises their DUC353 (2x18Volt) as "equivalent to a 30cc 2-stroke powered chainsaw" - it is no where close to it in real life.

The Makita hedge trimmer (DUH something, 1x18Volt) I own also can't compete with my AC powered one.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do have to say I am very impressed with how much advancement has been made in the battery space.

I have slowly expanded my Husky battery stuff and both the BLI200 and BLI300 hold under heavy use. I thus far have not seen any problems with any battery pack.

For the older tools, there may be companies in your country that rebuild with quality cells for half the cost.

I just bought some extra rebuild batteries for my nicd dewalt tools from 20 years ago and all is well.
I really love my UC250D for its simplicity.
Grab it with a spare battery and a little spare oil bottle and off You go.
Branching and few cuts in thigh thick wood are noise and smell free.
But she is not meant for high demand jobs, I own 5 functional 36Volt battery packs and this summer there were 2 occasions where I ran them all dry.

Batteries as they are today can not replace internal combustion equipment.
They are more convenient in some instances, though also inconvenient in others especially when raw power and stamina is required.
When it comes to chainsaws, a combination of both internal combustion & battery powered is sometimes really nice at job sites!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If an extension cord will reach, I say plug in tools all the way. I've been thinking about getting a quality plug in saw for use in the garage with the door closed.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
1:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm bidding on an NIB Black and Decker BCES600 electric saw on Fleabay. I figure for under 40 bux total it would be good for cutting kindling in the garage.

I’ve been wanting a garage saw as well. I might go battery since it’s mostly carving work but the plug-ins will deliver more power for a fraction of the price.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I was already using a system of cordless tools I would've looked for a battery saw, but I think it's pretty pointless to deal with the expense and hassle of batteries and chargers for just one tool, especially when said batteries and chargers could be obsolete tomorrow. If I end up using the electric saw a whole lot I can always upgrade to a better unit.

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If an extension cord will reach, I say plug in tools all the way. I've been thinking about getting a quality plug in saw for use in the garage with the door closed.
I did a wall-of-buckthorn job that was impenetrable via battery or extension cord--it looked like The Dark Forrest or something, if you could squeeze in a foot deep it would kill you right there. I threw a hedge trimmer attachment on a KM 131R powerhead and cut up/down the smaller perimeter bushes branching them out, the crew hauled the brush as I swapped on the pole saw head and cut down the sticks. 8 hours and around 7 tanks of gas later there was a 9' high 30' long brush pile (3x10m). Then we pulled out the chainsaws and started on the real trees...

The 10" chipper (now that we could fit it in) was powered by a 25HP Kohler. None of that is realistically running off an extension cord much less battery power, solar would be an absolute joke.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmm, now there's a current model Craftsman 14 amp saw on FB for only 25 bux. Mebbe I should pick that one up as well, you gotta have backups!