Let's See Them Chips !!!!

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i hate it when that happens. im sure there are still chip remenants in my shoes from the last time i got into a job like that too. i have managed to get all of the pokey parts out though. i still get some poking from the socks from time to time

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
A little context on Julie's post:

@Gentleman from HL Supply set her up with a new Sugihara 24" bar:

View attachment 393549

To that he added Husqvarna X-Cut chain, which is quite aggressive:

View attachment 393550

Even on the little stuff it's making 3/4" to 1" chips:

View attachment 393551

So as you can imagine, she's ecstatic.
Well ya have to do those WFO throttle cuts to work through breakin times some how to get to the real performance capabilities.....

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well ya have to do those WFO throttle cuts to work through breakin times some how to get to the real performance capabilities.....
The dealer said to break in new saws by starting small and working up to mid-size stuff for the first tank so they have a chance to wear in. Then use them normally for a few tanks but don't overdo it, and don't bury 'em in anything huge until tank 10. Let a saw warm up before use--especially in winter, and before turning it off let it idle so the fan can cool it down for 15-30 seconds depending on the workload.

Granted, I asked him how to maximize saw life, he sees crews that run and gun until saws burn up and then replace them. When it's below freezing they wear out pretty quickly if not given a chance to warm up as the piston heats up and expands but has nowhere to go if the cylinder is still cold.

BTW, it's 40F here, down from 70s two weeks ago, so I'll be making chips (because I love saws!).

Last edited:

julie wolf

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag