Those monarch lathes are pretty sought after

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You folks on the look out might Google "Lathes UK " this guy is full of information . Although I'm not a trained machinist ,self taught you know I know a lot more than some regarding machines etc .So what I'll say is if you find one and have a buddy that does have knowledge take him or her with you before you buy anything .These things are like E-bay or forum priced chainsaws ,you might pay a lot of money for a piece of junk so pay attention to what you are buying .Don't be afraid of single or three phase power because a rotary phase convertor is real easy to make ,I've made a bunch of them . Lastly don't be afraid to "walk away " if it's priced too high or is in terrible shape .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little off topic but at the request of that site owner years ago I sent the pictures of a Bridgeport model M milling machine .Very early model circa 1939 1940 .Weather he ever used them or not I can't say .Having said that as a note that machine has a brass tag saying " Mall Tools Chicago Illinois " . Who knows 80 years ago it might have made parts for those old Mall chainsaws etc .

Paul Fithian

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks fellas, this is a great resource to help me understand how to set up a new Grizzly G4000 9x19 I ordered. Now gathering info on what essential tools I need to get started, for sure a quick change tool rest and some dial indicators.

I plan to install it on a new leveled and anchored cabinet. What height can you fellas suggest for the top of the cabinet to put the lathe controls at a comfortable working height?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks fellas, this is a great resource to help me understand how to set up a new Grizzly G4000 9x19 I ordered. Now gathering info on what essential tools I need to get started, for sure a quick change tool rest and some dial indicators.

I plan to install it on a new leveled and anchored cabinet. What height can you fellas suggest for the top of the cabinet to put the lathe controls at a comfortable working height?
My bench is at the bottom of my pants pocket.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

This is really just personal preference. Don't be afraid to try different heights. I have a 16/24 South bend and when it's on it's legs, the bed is about waist line. But, being 6'4, I don't like working hunched over, so I raised mine 6 inches. Now I can run every control, and not have to bend over at all.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys might want to build a bench a bit lower than you'd think and trying a couple of parts.
You can always jack up the bench and put a 4x4 or 6x6 runner under the legs if more height is needed.

A lnumber of things will depend on the type of tooling and indicator bases you get.
Are you going to need to look into the bore and see the boring bar at the combustion chamber.
How about when you have an indicator set up and need to read the dial.
You'll want to be able to read the dial as you true up the cylinder.
For the typical old Southbound benchtops, I always found being able to slightly lean in over the workpiece (personally) suited me best for seeing what I was doing inside the hole.

How heavy will most of the parts be that you need to handle?
Having your forearms in a cramped angle can get a bit aggravating while trying to chuck an awkward shape or adjust/true it.

Cutting bases and chambers may involve the cross feed dial more often than the levers down on the saddle. So figure your most common work methods and where your hands will need to be.
Then decide how awkward that postion will be for carefully turning hand wheels or adjusting fasteners or truing

I tended to like the work piece a bit higher for turning O.D. but for working in holes, I liked a lower height for being able to look over the tool post and into the bore.
Granted I spent some time turning a bit bigger goodies, I did spend time in a smaller fab/custom/repair shop running a bunch of smaller stuff also. Sprockets, gears, etc.
ahh but keep those repetitive textile parts away please!
Spent many a day broaching keyways on a danged (manual) arbor press.
A bit of radial drill time and of course various manual milling machines.

I'm shorter than most of you guys, So I spent many a day with a plywood topped pallet under my feet, when in the milling dept.
I sometimes ran the lathe in the photo. Anyone like sweeping/raking chips??
Oh and heck no, I did not have that long hair when I was still working in a shop.
That photo is from the auction day many years later.

Attachments

• lathe dc dr.jpeg
    lathe dc dr.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 10

Paul Fithian

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Current thought is to set bench height so that spindle centerline is 45" above the floor, elbow height. Controls for cross slide would be a few inches below that.

Grizzly advised that distance from spindle to chip pan is 11", so that would put the cabinet top at 34" above the floor. Sound about right for your setups?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On this subject of lathes i've seen some giants .At one time I worked at Baldwin Lima Hamilton where the original Shay gear reduction steam engine was made .Later very large steam locmotives like the Allegany on display at the Henry Ford musiem that equaled the famed ALCO big boy .huge machines .However the largest I've ever seen was at Newport News ship building in Virgina .It turned propeller shafts for aircraft carriers had to be around 100 feet maybe more .

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the idea of elbow height for the cylinder work.
I usually had to grab a pallet to stand though. :aplastao:

Anyone else?