I saw a lot

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice job with the cleanup. No idea on the oiler but my guess would be the hose from the pump to the bar area is out of place or off. See, don't even know the proper terminology for it.

newguy#2

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did find a service manual which indicates the clutch has to come off to get to the oil pump. More surgery! :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll just try to clean the oil passages before I tear the whole thing apart.

I would just like to see a decent oil stripe when I gas it.

BTW, the compression is unreal on this saw, much more than my new Husky 543XP.

newguy#2

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So.....On the 2050 Turbo I took the bar off, removed a stainless plate underneath it & cleaned the rubber insert that appears to 'transport' the oil from the pump to the chain application channel, then flipped the bar, cleaned both sides of the oil Chanel and reinstalled everything.

After performing this procedure I feel confident that the oiling issue is resolved. I'm going to get some run time with the 18" bar / HVA SP33G chain and then try out a Oregon 16" Speedcut bar / 95TXL Speedcut chain.

As a final question, I have an HVA H30 chain that was supplied with the new HVA 543XP I just acquired; It's a full-chisel 16" chain with extra-long cutter teeth. I think I'll try this chain on the Jonsered when I get the Oregon 16" bar on; any thoughts on this chain? Definitely not 'anti-kickback' or 'homeowner' style chain; seems like a full-chisel .325 beast of a chain. I didn't use it on the 543XP, I put an HVA SP33G 'X-Cut' chain on that saw (33 deg cutter angle vs 30 deg for the H30).

I also got a couple of gallons of Sunoco 93 octane gas and made a 40:1 bucket of fuel with some Arctic Cat full synthetic snowmobile oil (it's blue); I tried this mixture out in my Echo string trimmer & Still leaf blower, both of which got the full fall cleanup treatment today. Both running strong! :D

AlexStromberg

Epic gamer
Local time
11:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So.....On the 2050 Turbo I took the bar off, removed a stainless plate underneath it & cleaned the rubber insert that appears to 'transport' the oil from the pump to the chain application channel, then flipped the bar, cleaned both sides of the oil Chanel and reinstalled everything.

After performing this procedure I feel confident that the oiling issue is resolved. I'm going to get some run time with the 18" bar / HVA SP33G chain and then try out a Oregon 16" Speedcut bar / 95TXL Speedcut chain.

As a final question, I have an HVA H30 chain that was supplied with the new HVA 543XP I just acquired; It's a full-chisel 16" chain with extra-long cutter teeth. I think I'll try this chain on the Jonsered when I get the Oregon 16" bar on; any thoughts on this chain? Definitely not 'anti-kickback' or 'homeowner' style chain; seems like a full-chisel .325 beast of a chain. I didn't use it on the 543XP, I put an HVA SP33G 'X-Cut' chain on that saw (33 deg cutter angle vs 30 deg for the H30).

I also got a couple of gallons of Sunoco 93 octane gas and made a 40:1 bucket of fuel with some Arctic Cat full synthetic snowmobile oil (it's blue); I tried this mixture out in my Echo string trimmer & Still leaf blower, both of which got the full fall cleanup treatment today. Both running strong! :D
H30 is a semi chisel low kickback chain tho.

newguy#2

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doesn't look like to me, where are you getting that info? The cutter has a sharp corner and a very long tooth section.

EDIT: SORRY, my bad....The chain they supplied is an H23, NOT an H30!

tempImageS7OLnh.png

Last edited:

newguy#2

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, sorry about the confusion (I'm confused!)

I edited my previous post and corrected it to the chain they supplied, an H23.

I don't think the H23 qualifies as a micro chisel, those cutters are huge!

AlexStromberg

Epic gamer
Local time
11:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, sorry about the confusion (I'm confused!)

I edited my previous post and corrected it to the chain they supplied, an H23.

I don't think the H23 qualifies as a micro chisel, those cutters are huge!
Yeah that is a full chisel chain :)

ArthurA

New OPE Member
Local time
3:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the bar oiler, is there a tube that runs to the bar to oil it? I seem to have a leak right around the cap. Maybe the cap is failing? I dug out some debris from inside the cap but it’s still leaking some.
Thanks for the help!

ArthurA

New OPE Member
Local time
3:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello from newguy#2!

I am starting my refurbishment project of my 20-year old saw, a Jonsered 2050 Turbo. It's my first chainsaw and it has sat in my garage un-fueled for the last 10 years. It's mostly original, save for it's 3rd chain and a spark plug. I bought it new at a dealer for $249 in 1999 with 3 spare chains. Became 'sold' on Jonsered's after seeing a local logger who used nothing but!

My plan is to disassemble & clean to the point where I can get it running reliably again. I'm a homeowner who uses the saw for yard maintenance and deadfall removal, plus some firewood.

I'm also considering a new 16" bar & chain (currently 18" roller-tip), and would appreciate suggestions for those items. I plan to remove all plastic & spray the plastic with citrus cleaner, then scrub with nylon brush & rinse / dry. The metal engine will get sprayed with degreaser and / or carb cleaner then brushed & wiped. New plug & reassembly, possibly carb cleaning & air filter too.

I'm hoping that knowledgable members will provide suggestions & guidance to help me see this project through - Thanks in advance! :)

I must be coming down with chainsaw fever because I'm ready to go buy myself a Husqvarna 543XP! :eek:

View attachment 347508 View attachment 347509 View attachment 347510 View attachment 347511
Hi, when you took it apart did you find any tubing that transports the oil to the chain? Any connection points close to the cap where you fill it? Seems I have a leak around the cap. But can’t tell if it’s the cap itself or there’s a tube internally that is split. Thanks for the help.