High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

john deere x304

redram06

OPE Member
Local time
8:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
hi all, i'm working on a john deere x304 which has 4-wheel steering. the issue is that the transaxle appears to be shot. makes noise but doesn't move. i've read that this unit is a sealed one and not serviceable. my question is: will another similar transaxle bolt up to the frame so it could be used as a front wheel steer machine? i would have to stabilize the rear steering connection somehow or switch to different rear wheels altogether. does anyone know what other similar models would have a unit that would bolt up the same? this is a 08 model and a new transaxle is close to $1K and cost prohibitive.
thanks in advance

ElevatorGuy

It’s up and down ;)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good ole k46 trans, those things are junk! Did you end up making it 2 wheel steer?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ugh, what the hell were they thinking when they created these things? Gimmicky unnecessary junk that is expensive to fix.

Deeres

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've got an 2010 x304 that I just bought used in 2021. I did a fluid flush by removing the transmission, inverting it, and refilling with their K46 5W40 oil. You might try to determine if the fluid level is OK as that + viscosity is the major power transfer once the transmission is receiving power from the PTO. Are the belts running and have good tension?

Last edited:

Deeres

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ugh, what the hell were they thinking when they created these things? Gimmicky unnecessary junk that is expensive to fix.

The current John Deere way. The Company used to make simple, reliable equipment any farmer could fix. But service and parts drive the Company after they sell the equipment to you.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mower companies say the are non-serviceable because they don't want to train their repair techs. The K46 is serviceable. If you go to the Tuff Torque site, you will find parts and tutorials for diagnosing and repairing your transmission.
The K46 is a lightweight transmission. The tractor manufacturer uses them to keep costs competitive. The tougher transmissions add a couple thousand to the cost of the tractor.

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I realize this is an old post, but there is one thing to check before tearing into the transmission. Remove the drive belt pulley on top of the transmission and check the bore. Sometimes the splines inside the pulley strip out and the pulley just spins on the shaft. If so, just pop on a new pulley. The shaft rarely gets damaged. Hope this helps.

bertfixessome

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And I will as my 25¢ worth to it ( inflation )
The easy way to test a transmission is to park on a hill
I do this on my tilt trailer when I pick them up for service .
leave them in gear , let the brake off and give it a gentle push
There should be strong resistance to moving and the mower should stop moving when you stop pushing if it is in tip top condition.
if it is totally shot it will race away & career down the hill like Mulga Bill's bicycle.
So you do it regularly and monitor the wear
This test bypasses all of the things like stripped pulleys, bad bearings & worn belts .