av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
6:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d appreciate some advice. I need a hatchet I can carry on the belt and use to drive wedges. I’m no pro, don’t do this for a living, but I really appreciate quality. Where should I look?

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a husqvarna small axe ,it is a touch bigger than a hatchet but super light.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d appreciate some advice. I need a hatchet I can carry on the belt and use to drive wedges. I’m no pro, don’t do this for a living, but I really appreciate quality. Where should I look?
You gonna have enough head weight in a hatchet, to drive wedges ?

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You gonna have enough head weight in a hatchet, to drive wedges ?
That’s a great question. I’ve been hauling around a Husky short handle 3-lb sledge hammer for wedges. And it has occurred to me that a hatchet size axe might not be heavy enough. I really hadn’t thought about a full size axe.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s a great question. I’ve been hauling around a Husky short handle 3-lb sledge hammer for wedges. And it has occurred to me that a hatchet size axe might not be heavy enough. I really hadn’t thought about a full size axe.
I like around 5lb’er

Puget_hick

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A Stihl (Ox Head) splitting hatchet has enough head weight to drive wedges and just enough handle to use both hands if you need to. Other than this I suggest looking at Council Tool products.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Look for a camp or boys axe with about a 3-5 pound head. There are several good quality brands out there with a range of prices. Hults bruk, GRÄNSFORS BRUK, wetterling, Peavey, Counsel, etc.

When I got my Husqvarna axe it came stamped with the Gransfors makers mark. That was several years ago and they now come with the Husqvarna symbol but are still made by one of the three Swedish manufacturers.

You could also keep your eyes on eBay/FB marketplace for an old axe as well. I like a shorter 28” handle for wearing on my belt and driving wedges, but that comes down to personal preference.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my $0.02

To set a wedge, a hatchet is fine.

To "drive" a wedge I want a full sized axe or 8#+ sledge hammer.

I guess it depends on what size and type of tree. I consider directly behind the tree, barber chair territory, and I do not want to be there tipping a tree with a tiny implement using two hands. Though I many times wrap with chain or strap anyway. I want to at least be arm's length away.

Kneeling on the ground, for a 8" DBH tree with <5" wedges, I would go with a hatchet. 15" tree 60+ feet tall, with hard head wedges, full sized axe or sledgehammer.

I conceal carry a pistol almost 3 pounds heavy. I can feel it after a day of outside work, so, I would put that into the mix if I wanted to carry 48oz on my belt for a full day of work. You might find a full sized axe stuck into a carrier on your back better for a deep walk into the woods and much handier.

I tend to lean whatever I use right next to the tree I am cutting so I am ready and not searching trying to pull something out under pressure. I tend to do almost all urban trees, so, I take a folding step ladder, lean my sledge against it, and the various wedges on each step, so, I can quickly choose. Start small, end big.

Many big oaks require 6-8 wedges, I am not carrying all that on a belt. I put them into an orange plastic tool box along with a drilling hammer. I carry that and open near each tree when doing a lot clearing. Going to need more then 1-2 wedges, pre-stage them, easy to grab by the non-wedge end, sticking out or on top of the box.

SAFETY
Exiting the danger zone while dropping trees, I have fallen before. Good reason not to conceal carry behind your spine. Fallen before on my side carried gun, not sure I would want that to happen with an unsheathed razor sharp hatchet.

If not carrying a gun or two, a hatchet would be something I would consider a must carry in the woods, easily accessible, along with a full tang knife. I rather carry the wedges and hammer/hatchet in a box and keep my water bottle on me or a machete.

Knocking over <6" birch in Sweden is different then knocking over 32"+ sweetgum in Georgia.

Taking a hatchet to tip over a 32" Georgia sweetgum with wedges would be like taking a .22LR or 9mm to hunt bear. Yes, you can do it, but, it might not be the best tool for the job, even though it might be easier to carry around the waist for the short term.

I cut down a bunch of trees at Iron Gait Percherons, small video of them running in the background

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of you guys jumped in and helped out, I just want to thank you all. I got PM’s, links, threads and all.
I’ve purchased a 5 lb Miners axe from Council Tools and I got me a Swedish medium felling axe, mostly because it was real pretty. I have a Council Tool pickeroon I love. Aside from my saws, it is the most useful tool I have handling wood. Anyway, thanks again to everyone!

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
3:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of you guys jumped in and helped out, I just want to thank you all. I got PM’s, links, threads and all.
I’ve purchased a 5 lb Miners axe from Council Tools and I got me a Swedish medium felling axe, mostly because it was real pretty. I have a Council Tool pickeroon I love. Aside from my saws, it is the most useful tool I have handling wood. Anyway, thanks again to everyone!
If and when the head on the council gets loose, let us know for the fix

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys don't use nearby fallen branches?

I have a Savoy 2lb aluminum hammer I use for some stuff. Bought a fancy fiberglass Husky axe a few years ago for driving. The poll is huge and suits my not great aim better than most.

Tom123e

New OPE Member
Local time
11:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gransfors Bruk are some of if not the best axes in the world, in my opinion, they offer the best user experience. I own several GB's and find myself picking up their small forest axe over the hatchet 9 times out of 10. it has the controllability of a hatchet with a more versatile handle that gives you the option to choke up on it for more precise work and not have to change axes for thicker tougher wood.