How to square file

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
9:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Problem is that I've got a bunch of them, and they last soooo long. Much longer than every other square file. I dont know why, I just know that I've gone through a lot of the others, I'm only on my second triangular 6 sided

I try for 10-15 degree top plate, depending on what chain I'm running and what wood I'm cutting

Them witness marks arent for me, I just ignore them
They're probably swiss made.
That's why the triangulars last so long.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow Jason. That .325 square looks awesome.

On a side note, good news, my square file chain cut like the dickens. Really cut well. Bad news, only for 2 cuts due to I threw the chain after the cut. It looked OK so I remounted the chain and tried to cut again, but something was amiss. I gotta give it a good look. I put a fresh round filed chain back on and it cut well, just not as fast as the square. So that's my story. lol
I cut 3 days straight and will probably finish out the week cutting every day. Many trees still down around here. Lots of work.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow Jason. That .325 square looks awesome.

On a side note, good news, my square file chain cut like the dickens. Really cut well. Bad news, only for 2 cuts due to I threw the chain after the cut. It looked OK so I remounted the chain and tried to cut again, but something was amiss. I gotta give it a good look. I put a fresh round filed chain back on and it cut well, just not as fast as the square. So that's my story. lol
I cut 3 days straight and will probably finish out the week cutting every day. Many trees still down around here. Lots of work.
I've been using all square for quite a while now and @ the last gtg I ran one of AJ's saws with round and I was blown away at how harsh it cut. His stuff was fast, no doubt about it, but it really highlighted how much smoother square filed/ground chain is.
Oh, btw... I know a guy (lol). I recently touched up one of those ground 3/8" loops with a db and it was crazy easy to follow the angles.

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think I'm done or give up with this chain. Continued first attempt at square filing. Figured why not try and tweak it some. A little side light on the Finland files - Either I'm too hard on them or might be wrong about the quality. Small cutting edge pieces are starting to break off right where they hit the corner and top plate. Now that I look at the pics - need to tune up and round off the rakers - I'm trying to set them at 22.

DSCN5868.JPG DSCN5880.JPG DSCN5881.JPG

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I'm done or give up with this chain. Continued first attempt at square filing. Figured why not try and tweak it some. A little side light on the Finland files - Either I'm too hard on them or might be wrong about the quality. Small cutting edge pieces are starting to break off right where they hit the corner and top plate. Now that I look at the pics - need to tune up and round off the rakers - I'm trying to set them at 22.

View attachment 94793 View attachment 94794 View attachment 94795
Don't give up! Looks like you don't have the file corner lined up with the cutter correctly.
hqdefault.jpg
chiselfile3.jpg

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Don't give up! Looks like you don't have the file corner lined up with the cutter correctly.
hqdefault.jpg
chiselfile3.jpg
I'm not saying I know what I'm doing but am going to blame some on the files. :rolleyes: I had a really rough time when the files started chipping - would cut then catch knocking pieces off and rounding the inside corner. Tried to correct and only got worse. I have too much time in that chain so will pull another file and be real nice with it. I'll get there eventually.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looked over my rocked chain real good. I found a couple of links that looked wonky. I filed them flat.
I went ahead and practiced a bit further. I personally am happy with my progress.
I thank everybody for kicking in and helping me out. It is appreciated more than you will ever know.
The photo is a bit deceiving with the glare. But it is actually a fairly decent corner.
1aff6da9455f5a0b24bfc78f17c18123.jpg
1f52b4b41e9fdef20068842b25d79baa.jpg

Last edited:

Manofstihl066

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I looked over my rocked chain real good. I found a couple of links that looked wonky. I filed them flat.
I went ahead and practiced a bit further. I personally am happy with my progress.
I thank everybody for kicking in and helping me out. It is appreciated more than you woll ever know.
The photo is a bit deceiving with the glare. But it is actually a fairly decent corner.
1aff6da9455f5a0b24bfc78f17c18123.jpg
1f52b4b41e9fdef20068842b25d79baa.jpg
Lookin good Jeff!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I am not in your league yet, but I think I am getting it.
When you file for 2 hours, it gives one's self a whole new respect for guys that file race chains and good work chains.
Heck, I just do it for the love of it and to learn. [emoji2]

Manofstihl066

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks. I am not in your league yet, but I think I am getting it.
When you file for 2 hours, it gives one's self a whole new respect for guys that file race chains and good work chains.
Heck, I just do it for the love of it and to learn. [emoji2]
I’m at no elite status by far, I still have days where I have to lay the file down and pick it back up the next day. There are however, great filers in this thread. I learned by watching and listening to them. It’s a humbling thing for sure, but when done right the payoff is awesome.