How to dispose of excess chains...?

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
7:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Over the past several years I have accumulated literally hundreds of loops of chain ( mostly thanks to Definitive Dave). A few are new, some have never been sharpened, many have a lot of life left and a small number are plain worn out. I would like to sell in bulk, what is the best way to do it?

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
6:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
bring them to the GTG at randys they are bound to sell heck im interested in buying any.

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
7:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Flat rate box at a time if you don't want to sort. I went thru 300 one time. My best way was a bunch of deck screws on a board to line up hanging down by chain type (3/8, .325ect.) and length then the fun part by gauge/id number stamp.
I'd be up for a few boxes worth.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
People are really shy about buying used chains. Unless they say 'STIHL' on them, and offered on eBay. Then they sometimes go for more than retail (once shipping is figured in).

Good market for buyers / scroungers. Bad for sellers. I have gotten some really good deals because I can sharpen, repair, and resize my own chains. Many buyers need the exact pitch/gauge/drive link count, and expect them to be sharp and ready-t0-go for less money than they would pay for a local shop to grind their used chains.

Best options:
- sort the chains at least by pitch and gauge;
- see if you can group some by 'natural' similarities (loop length, brand, full/semi chisel, kickback affiliation, etc.) and condition;
- offer the best chains in lots of 3 to 6 chains (for most users) here in the 'Chainsaw Ads', other sites in their 'Trading Post' forums, on eBay (if you sell there), etc. Just be clear whether they need to be sharpened, and include good photos of the actual chains;
- group less desirable (damaged links, heavily used, less common sizes / types, etc.) in larger 'bargain bundles' (e.g. 'lot of random length 3/8 low profile, reduced kickback chains') at a price where someone willing to put some effort into it could come out with a really good deal after some labor (and take them off your hands);
- put any trashed, or really worn out chains in your metals recycling;
- submit any interesting 'project chains' to Philbert's Chain Challenge thread (it's been slow there lately).

JMHO

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
shippin kills it here.
Flat Rate USPS in the US is the way to go. I once received 33-1/2 pounds of chains in a medium Flat Rate box.

Shipping to Canada gets ridiculously expensive fast. Cheaper to drive to the border and throw it across.

Philbert