High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

How important are parts availability for a home owner?

stgdz

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1000004426.jpg

So we have had this jonsred for close to fifty years now, according to my old man it's older than me. I honestly have no idea what model is as all the labeling has come off. It still has serial number plate. We use this for cutting up some firewood for the fall and spring at the cabin. Maybe a cord a year, as mom likes her fires.

Anyways, in the entire time the we have owned this thing dad has just replaced the bar and that's it (other than chains). The thing just runs and still has awesome compression, I think he's over zealous on his oil to gas ratio. I thought the clutch was going out on it a few years ago but it turned out it was the idle screw was off, dad adjusted it. I found a clutch, but it was a bit difficult.

I know I will have to replace this thing eventually, looking at either a husky 550 mkII or 261 but I wonder about the parts comments I see around here and how many times people bring stuff in for work. Has saw quality changes that much over the years? This thing has the magnesium case and a metal handle so I'm guessing it may be one of the higher end ones. I got that g660 clone for the few times that we need a bigger bar but I don't think that one will last for my kids when they turn 40.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 423548

So we have had this jonsred for close to fifty years now, according to my old man it's older than me. I honestly have no idea what model is as all the labeling has come off. It still has serial number plate. We use this for cutting up some firewood for the fall and spring at the cabin. Maybe a cord a year, as mom likes her fires.

Anyways, in the entire time the we have owned this thing dad has just replaced the bar and that's it (other than chains). The thing just runs and still has awesome compression, I think he's over zealous on his oil to gas ratio. I thought the clutch was going out on it a few years ago but it turned out it was the idle screw was off, dad adjusted it. I found a clutch, but it was a bit difficult.

I know I will have to replace this thing eventually, looking at either a husky 550 mkII or 261 but I wonder about the parts comments I see around here and how many times people bring stuff in for work. Has saw quality changes that much over the years? This thing has the magnesium case and a metal handle so I'm guessing it may be one of the higher end ones. I got that g660 clone for the few times that we need a bigger bar but I don't think that one will last for my kids when they turn 40.
I can honestly say since I've started running and working on saws since the mid 80s
All i ever needed was carb kits,fuel lines,piston kits etc.
Now with the Internet virtually any part can be found
Nos parts pop up occasionally for the vintage saws and the aftermarket filled alot of parts no longer made
Most people don't run vintage saws daily anyway I'd think.
I do i run 80s/90s 2 series Husqvarna mainly and the parts are more available now than ever for most of them.
That looks like a 450 jonsereds i only ran large displacement Johnny's
@Spike60 will know.

FederalQ

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I own 3 Dolmar saws and now that they are no longer made is making me wonder if I should move to something else because of future parts availability. I have been tempted to purchase used Solo chainsaws but refrain from doing so again due to limited parts availability.

David Boyd

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why not just keep running it as is? You don't need autotune or the latest saw to cut a cord a year. Some of the older saws are simple as dirt, but they are easy to work on, run forever and are perfect for an occasional user such as yourself. Worry about parts when you need them.

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like @David Boyd just said why get rid of something that has worked flawlessly for 50 years because parts might be hard to get? It has worked for 50 years and has not needed any parts. If down the road you need parts with the internet you can find just about anything. I would run my old dolmars with just about anything and not think twice about it. If one breaks you have a backup. Now if you are making a living with it and when it is down you are losing money you need something with good parts availability for sure

Coupe

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes keep her going. If you look after them thee older ones will just keep going.
As for parts Jonsereds are getting a bit hard for new stuff but if you keep your nose
to the ground there is allways somme blowen ones kicking around for spares.
I have about 40 older ones all different makes and models and when I go cutting
firewood will take one of the older ones and give it a short run to leep the
chainoil and fuel going through it. I find the main thing with any chainsaw to get
a extended life out of theh is maintenance. My main saw I use is my Jonsrered 930
Super in the bigger range and a Husky 51 in the smaller range. When I have finnished
for the day they are all blowen down with compressed air and filter done as well.
Fueled up and chainoil topped up ready for the next day.

stgdz

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't plan on getting rid of it guys, I will keep it around as long as I can. It may die it may not.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure on the saw, could be a 520. Starter is different than on a 450/455. Does have the lower AF cover. No point in worrying about parts until they are actually needed. Many of these old saws will run for years and years, without the need for specific parts. Junking or replacing them because they MIGHT need parts someday is silly.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And as I write this, I'm in the local pub, sitting next to a guy whose Dad was a Jonsered dealer 25 years before I was. We are both leaning towards 520 on that saw. And we both agree it's been in the family this long, ya gotta keep running her.

stgdz

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any idea what the 520's weigh? This one is pretty light.
I decided to clean out everything today by pulling all the plastics. Lots of stuff we missed. I did grease the lip between the airfilter and the mount point. BTW here is what the backside looks like
PXL_20240623_151559862 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

stgdz

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
MAXIMUM ENGINE RPM:​
ecblank.gif

Is that in a cut rpm or in air rpm.? It seems low.

Do these have a rev limiter?

Last edited:

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
MAXIMUM ENGINE RPM:​
ecblank.gif

Is that in a cut rpm or in air rpm.? It seems low.

Do these have a rev limiter?
Probably a recommended RPM by the manufacturer. And, it may not be accurate. I wouldn't give any weight to that max RPM info

stgdz

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do they have a limiter on them? I would rather not try and find it by other means ......

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's worth noting that most of the defunct saw brands only left the market within the last 20 years. Well within the lifespan of forums such as this one. Many members skipped the big 2, and embraced other brands such as Dolmar, Solo, Olympyk, and Jonsered. It gave the hobby some needed variety, that is sorely missed today. Then one by one they all went away.

But plenty of the saws are still here thanks to those of us who grabbed them while we could. The mentality ought to be to keep all those saws running as long as possible, rather than consider bailing out of them. Sure, there are no more local dealers for those brands gor parts support. But each brand has it's own network of guys to help each other out. That's why the brand specific section here is so good. Same for most of the domestic brands that left the market even further back. Hang on to 'em! 😀

stgdz

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So one thing I have noticed about this thing is the growl the muffler has at idle. It's different than a lot of the other saws I have, even the dual ports.

This thing only has a single port on it.

bucketofguts

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With time. The many fourms . You should be able to find almost any part. I have found OEM parts around the world. Be advised Some very modern countrys have some funny mail service. Paypal goods and services and credit cards for payment will give you a little piece of mind.

Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
GoldMember
Local time
6:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Home owner saw for occasional use - get a 100$ chainsaw with up to 5 years "warranty" (usually 3 here) and run it like You stole it.
Any issues You may encounter other than a dull chain or worn sprocket just return it to Your local supermarket You bought it from.

Now, You may argue "What if I need the saw exactly when it craps out?!".
Simple, at 100$/a saw keep a spare NIB.

Obviously according to my signature I personally do not follow this policy when it comes to chainsaws!
BUT, I do own 3 sub 200€ weed whackers/trimers.
One is NIB (111€), one is a comby system that I only use as a pole saw (was 190€), and one is a pure trimmer and I am running the chitt out of it (was flat 100€).
All three are the exact same generic PH, whichever craps out first will become a parts donor.

Just saying!
Cheers 🍻