• Honda hp2

Results are only viewable after voting.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
12:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Ok I have been looking for some top quality oil for my saws. I used stihl ultra and way to much Un burned residue and stinks. So I switched to dolmar synthetic burns much cleaner and smells ok. After reading some info I started looking into belray h1r
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=belray+h1r+

and motul 800 2t off road
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0022...tul+800+2t&dpPl=1&dpID=41i2ptXg6vL&ref=plSrch

Both seemy to be similar price and cheaper then local 6 pack at a time synthetic.
I know @Redbull661 has done oil testing in the past but couldn't find his videos on his YouTube channel.
I have also seen more than one saw builder suggest one or the other.
I do quite a bit of firewood and land maintenance as well as some milling.
Does one of these stand out above the other?
I know oh no another oil thread but to me I want to get the most life out of my equipment and the cost of oil is not going to kill me.
So any and all input would be awesome.
If @Redbull661 , @Miller Mod Saws , or @Mastermind would share their knowledge that would be awesome. Thanks

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
current OPE oil thread - http://opeforum.com/threads/what-oil-is-best-and-what-ratio.98/

so far I've tested ultra, r50, 2R, k2, and honda hp2. Out of those I liked honda hp2 the best. I've had some feedback on hp2 and seems some think it's to thick at 32:1. So I would try 32:1 and 40:1 and dare I say 36:1 and see what ya think.

Will be testing a whole bunch more fairly soon.

ctylerc1995

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I've never personally used either of these in a saw, but have a bit of use in the dirt bike application. I believe almost all Belray products are great, I've ran their red gear oil in every transmission I can and when I split my bike one, you couldn't tell the gears had ever been used.
The H1R is geared towards two strokes with power valves. The MC1 belray is for non power valve applications you might want to look at it.

One of my best friends ran Motul (not sure which "formula") in a bike identical to mine for a long time...until it locked up at 65MPH and mine is still going far past expected rebuild hours and let me tell you I abuse it. However I doubt the oil was the cause but it was enough to make me question it, I doubt he mixed it correctly, possibly because he never wore a helmet.

ctylerc1995

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Belray made my saw tune different..but it didnt blow amy of my saws up..crazy.
Was it the H1R? It has ester in it, which id say is why. Kinda like when everyone though oil with MOLLY in it was a magic answer.

If I ran the H1R in my RM250 it was a B**** to start because the idle jet was too lean with it. A very smart old man schooled me on Ester when I was complaining about it one day.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Was it the H1R? It has ester in it, which id say is why. Kinda like when everyone though oil with MOLLY in it was a magic answer.

If I ran the H1R in my RM250 it was a B**** to start because the idle jet was too lean with it. A very smart old man schooled me on Ester when I was complaining about it one day.
Can you give us the cliff note version of the ester schooling.

ctylerc1995

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ester is essentially an acid that's been modified to be non acdic that loves to cling to metal even with high heat. And burning it is a new technology and every new technology is amazing and the best UNTIL someone finds a con to it. He was a chemist in his younger days.

Last edited:

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
lemon meringue !

c9qy7Ox.jpg

or cherry! :D
D5EuoTj.jpg

Last edited:

metallic

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've ran the same oil for 15 years or so.
It works so why change.

The only reason I would change oils is for the newer saws with the solenoid carburetors. I'm sure older oil blends work great in older saws, but perhaps the newer saws need newer oil blends. I'm not saying this is true for sure, but just perhaps it might be the case. Kind of like what's going on with Tier IV diesels and the ultra-low sulfur fuels.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've ran klotz since my dirt bike days and when I started building saws many years ago I just used what oil in had and I've never changed,never had any problems with it so I'll keep using it.

I think people tend to get a little to wrapped up about oil,if it's working keep using it. I think any good oil is fine,whatever you like to run is fine,if for you burning saws up maybe you should change.

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
don't like motul 800.massive carbon build up in my 357xp with only roughly 6 tanks through it.switching back to belray 2t.

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
don't like motul 800.massive carbon build up in my 357xp with only roughly 6 tanks through it.switching back to belray 2t.
actually when the belray is gone may actually go back to valvoline two stroke.i've ran it in everything over the years and had no problem.