Hate to say it...

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm pretty sure it's still ultra low sulfur. That's how it's labeled around here anyway. It is nice to skip the tax though. I paid $2.50/gallon a month ago. I only use it for my tractors though.
You may be right. They may have made the switch.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know all the diesel guys around me use some sort of oil additive to the diesel. Off road is the same ulsd just dyed red. Ive been working on diesels for close to 20 years and always prime the fuel filters with atf. Its amazing how quiet the pumps injectors and motors run on pure atf. Ive had some new customers come back after i pm'd their truck saying it ran so much better after i worked on it. Told them what i do and now they add up to 1 gallon of atf or 2 cycle per 100 gallons of diesel. I see some of those truck on the regular and many have 1,000,000 or more on them. I was in a c15 cat the other day for head work and i must say it was one of the cleanest motors everywhere i looked. Ive seen gassers way more carboned up with 100k on them compared to this motor with 1,300,000. The extra oil way helps them out. Also anyone using a fuel filter with less then 10 micron media should switch them to 10 micron or larger during the winter or face problems gelling way more frequently.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good point on the gelling. I have gelled twice since 2006. Usually in below zero ambient temps. I run Power Service white religuously in winter and still gelled.

As far as red fuel goes, it must have only changed to ULSD recently, like last year or so. Even after ULSD (15PPM) came out, red fuel continued to be just LSD (500PPM). The change was recent. I do not use red fuel, so sorry for the confusion.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know all the diesel guys around me use some sort of oil additive to the diesel. Off road is the same ulsd just dyed red. Ive been working on diesels for close to 20 years and always prime the fuel filters with atf. Its amazing how quiet the pumps injectors and motors run on pure atf. Ive had some new customers come back after i pm'd their truck saying it ran so much better after i worked on it. Told them what i do and now they add up to 1 gallon of atf or 2 cycle per 100 gallons of diesel. I see some of those truck on the regular and many have 1,000,000 or more on them. I was in a c15 cat the other day for head work and i must say it was one of the cleanest motors everywhere i looked. Ive seen gassers way more carboned up with 100k on them compared to this motor with 1,300,000. The extra oil way helps them out. Also anyone using a fuel filter with less then 10 micron media should switch them to 10 micron or larger during the winter or face problems gelling way more frequently.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm pretty sure it's still ultra low sulfur. That's how it's labeled around here anyway. It is nice to skip the tax though. I paid $2.50/gallon a month ago. I only use it for my tractors though.
I believe this to be correct also.
Originally when they made the switch to Low sulfer, I don't think the red changed. But when they went to ulsd, they all changed. Only difference is the dye. Red for off road, yellow for on, green for heat

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So use 1 quart of Dextron to 20gals of diesel? I need to tell my biddy this his 08 f250 is on his second pump in 10 months.
2nd hi-pressure pump? Either it’s got contaminated fuel or he’s getting a junk part! If you keep the fuel filters changed regularly, run some sort of fuel conditioner he shouldn’t be having any problems

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
10:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2nd hi-pressure pump? Either it’s got contaminated fuel or he’s getting a junk part! If you keep the fuel filters changed regularly, run some sort of fuel conditioner he shouldn’t be having any problems

Yeah he bought it used and the pump died. Shop put another one in and it died after about 7000 miles. Maybe the shop tried to pull a fast one on him cause the said all new parts. They had to fix it for free so hopefully it will last now. And fuel is bought at the busiest and best place in town.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
4:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m screwed then, I run TCW-3 2-stroke oil in my 24v Cummins for lubricating the injection pump. 1oz per gallon

Had a 1986 7.5ton truck with a Cummins 301 engine had the same trouble of
Low sulphur diesel and when you had done 100 miles or so of hard pulling when you stopped for a break it wouldn’t start until everything cooled down or if you put cold water over the injector pump then someone said put2-stroke oil in the diesel , problem solved never (appended again