Handling Damaged Batteries

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
9:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
“The Power Tool Institute has released a new video demonstrating how to properly handle a battery that’s in thermal runaway.

‘A lithium-ion battery that is too hot to touch, melting, smoking, or on fire may be in thermal runaway, which can be caused by misusing or abusing the battery, such as by dropping, puncturing, damaging, or exposing the battery to liquids’, according to a statement from the institute.”

“Lithium-ion batteries, when purchased by an OEM for their respective tools, are safe. More and more counterfeit and knock off batteries have appeared in the market and can cause serious issues, including fires.

As detailed in the video, the quickest way to cool down and stop an overheating lithium-ion battery is to immerse the battery in a sturdy container filled with water and keep it there for 24 hours.“

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is at least somewhat surprising to me, because I know that Lithium reacts with air, and elements like Sodium react violently with water.

Generally, I would want to isolate the damaged battery on a piece of concrete, or bare ground.

But, they are ‘the experts’ as far as power tool batteries, so, I guess this is what to do.

The ‘24 hour’ thing is interesting too.

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I checked with a firefighter friend, and someone ’in the industry’, and they both indicated that the recommendations in the video appear valid.

Philbert

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have heard of firefighters having to bury a burning EV that they couldn't extinguish. The problem is that you can extinguish a lithium-ion battery with water and it could light again, be it hours or weeks (Nikola semi's did this). In my opinion, the future of large lithium batteries is not very bright at this point.

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeh, they've gotten much better but still have their issues. I use them a lot and only issue I still have is not taking a charge when cold. Only have them get hot to touch when cold as well.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have heard of firefighters having to bury a burning EV that they couldn't extinguish.
Yeah, I’m not offering any advice on smoldering Teslas.

But I have used Li-ion OPE for many years, and never heard anything like this. And they are extensively used in contractor type power tools, which are subject to lots of abuse.

Surprised that it has taken so long for the industry to get this recommendation out.

Hope I don’t need it, but good to know.

Philbert

FederalQ

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An Asian country developed a fire blanket for burning EVs and I wonder if that has made it‘s was to the US fire service.

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
10:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been wary of litium batts since I used to play with RC cars back in the day. We charged them in metal ammo cans as it was the most likely time that they would explode/combust.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An Asian country developed a fire blanket for burning EVs and I wonder if that has made it‘s was to the US fire service.
A firefighter friend said that’s what they use for their initial response. Reignition of the batteries is a separate problem.

Philbert

Last edited: