Hand Making Axe Handles

heritageguy20051

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hell yes! This has become a great thread and I think we would all love to see your work.
I never even considered axe handles until this but now I want to try. I just tinker with woodworking as a little hobby but it's very relaxing for me. Built our dining table, a picnic table with my chainsaw mill and a few other projects. I really enjoy working with the hand tools. Very simple and peaceful. I really enjoy the craftsmanship of threads like this.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never even considered axe handles until this but now I want to try. I just tinker with woodworking as a little hobby but it's very relaxing for me. Built our dining table, a picnic table with my chainsaw mill and a few other projects. I really enjoy working with the hand tools. Very simple and peaceful. I really enjoy the craftsmanship of threads like this.

Same here bud. I had never made a handle until I read the axe thread. Found it very satisfying and relaxing as you said. And it’s nice to be proud of it in the end too.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes he will. I always convince myself. "If I just get one more tool, I can do it!"

No you don’t understand, he absolutely loathes wood working, avoids the smart end of a tape measure at all costs. Lol!

heritageguy20051

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No you don’t understand, he absolutely loathes wood working, avoids the smart end of a tape measure at all costs. Lol!
Well, if I had a brother to make my stuff, I might take the easy route too. Lol. Certainly different strokes for different folks. That's what makes these forums so good. Something for everyone to enjoy.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
5:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I’m back to ground zero as I have given away all the axes with handles I made for Christmas. The last one I made was for my brother @RIDE-RED 350r . He was in the barn working on a saw while I was making it so I was asking him what he would want for a wedge driver while I was making “my” wedge driver. Lol. Worked out well I think, can’t wait to get some more wood from that mill and get started on some more handles. Merry Christmas everyone!

great christmas present

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice Work man, looks great. I’ve never seen a shave like that, I’d be interested in one when you get to making them
Im here to tell ya, it's an amazing little tool. I'll be copying my original one to a tee, might make two sizes as well. I'll post up when we get some forge time, I'll go ahead and make 10 of them and see what happens......

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
11:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mindset is amazing. In our consumer culture, it is so easy to throw things away when broken. Or to focus on buying a replacement part.

One of the things I like about these forums is guys who think, 'I'm gonna make that part!'. And in this case, 'I'm gonna make that tool!'

Of course, not everyone has the same skills, or access to welding, lathes, forges, woodworking equipment, etc. Still very interesting and educational.

I'll post up when we get some forge time . . .

Please post the process so that the rest of us can watch and appreciate.

Philbert

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agreed philbert. I’ve watched forged in fire It’s a knife forging show. That’s about the extent of my blacksmithing know how
Same here. I'd like to see what those guys could do with more time. I'd also like to build a forge and start learning but I just don't have the space to dedicate to it.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was thinking along those same lines a bit regarding using different woods for handles.
I was thinking about the little hand hatchets, and the fact that they don't really seem to need the dense, heavy, long grained, strong hard wood handles. I was looking through some of the box elder rounds I have.
I wonder how an exotic wood handle would do on a small hand hatchet? Or even black walnut, or some other different woods?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was thinking along those same lines a bit regarding using different woods for handles.
I was thinking about the little hand hatchets, and the fact that they don't really seem to need the dense, heavy, long grained, strong hard wood handles. I was looking through some of the box elder rounds I have.
I wonder how an exotic wood handle would do on a small hand hatchet? Or even black walnut, or some other different woods?
I’d bet that you could use almost anything for a hatchet handle. They’re so short I doubt you could generate enough power to break it.