Randalls favorite member
Local time
7:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How long did batteries last?
the proto have a 4 hour run time i think...my astro ones had a 8 hour run time
i likes the astro ones for the run time, but i like the proto ones better since they have the work light, and the flashlight on the end and also uv black light for leak detection, and a pretty strong magnet on the end to hang it

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just for grins i went out out saw how many brands of odds and ends wrenches i have in the old wrench box. Bonney, blackhawk, new britan, snap on, armstrong, wright and mcgill, craftsman, s k, proto, easco, mac a couple of these and a couple of those.

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just for grins i went out out saw how many brands of odds and ends wrenches i have in the old wrench box. Bonney, blackhawk, new britan, snap on, armstrong, wright and mcgill, craftsman, s k, proto, easco, mac a couple of these and a couple of those.

For my OCD's sake, I'm almost afraid to do this...

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish Bonney were still making sockets & hand tools. They were clever and quality. Some of their designs changed the way every other brand makes a tool today.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of my tool purchases nowadays are used proline brands on Fleabay. Even Snap-On seldom brings more than about .35 cents on the dollar. Today, I got a set of late model Cornwell wrenches size 3/8 through 3/4 for $45.00 shipped! I've got a bunch of their tools and they work great, my large toolbox is also Cornwell.

s-l500.jpg

ddiesel2006

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Harbor Freight makes decent sockets now at a very cheap price, with lifetime warranty.

If you want a step up from that, look at Stanley (Stanley Proto, not the consumer yellow&black Stanly brand). They make sockets for some of the pro quality tool truck lines (Matco, MAC, etc, except Snapon which makes their own sockets).

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Proto makes great stuff. I like all the random proto tools I have

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Inexpensive? I’ve had a set of Lowe’s task force sockets and ratchets more than a decade now and haven’t broken anything. Poor organizer box is falling apart...

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish Bonney were still making sockets & hand tools. They were clever and quality. Some of their designs changed the way every other brand makes a tool today.
You must be an old geezer like me to remember Bonney. I loved to borrow my uncle's Bonney wrenches. He was a pro auto mechanic, and he guarded them with his life.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you can't buy the old classics used, consider "Genius" tools. I snagged a couple of different sets, good tight fit on the fasteners. Lifetime warranty

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bonney were very innovative, the first I believe to design 'off corner' engagement that companies like Snap On call flank drive. Nowadays the patents have passed and ALL modern sockets use this design. Yeah...I like Bonney tools.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got a few bonnets around. I’ll loose them before they ever fail. One I use to Change oil in tractors. Double box end wrench long 1 1/8 1 1/4 on other end. I love the length of that one

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
11:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have Taiwanese Toptul, Teng, Jonnesway and Repco branded sockets and wrenches (spanners). There's no need to spend more, but I won't spend less if you get my drift.

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have Taiwanese Toptul, Teng, Jonnesway and Repco branded sockets and wrenches (spanners). There's no need to spend more, but I won't spend less if you get my drift.

Man, I wish I had easier availability to Toptul. The stuff I've seen online looks really nice, and the last US importer had fantastic prices, but he got tired of the minimum order nonsense from the manufacturer and decided to get out of the business.

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought some tekton ratchets. The majority of their items are made in Ohio. I find them nicer than my Snap on ratchets. I'm unsure if that fits your price point.

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
USA made: Wright or S-K. If I was starting my mechanic career over again I would buy as much Wright stuff as I could get away with. Most of your older Matco tools were made by Wright or Bonney. Their boxes are really sweet too.

Foreign: Gearwrench or Tekton. I've read some really good reports on Tekton and their warranty service.

Check these guys out: https://www.harryepstein.com. They are a Wright and S-K dealer and have bunches of other USA brands at excellent prices. Nowadays, I only buy tools elsewhere if Epstein's doesn't have it.
I buy from there also but I am fortunate enough to do it in person. I believe there great grand father opened the store it is old building in downtown kcmo.