Generic unbranded ebay chain

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
11:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I personally really appreciate these odd threads.
I've tried a couple of brands that previously would not have (Archer and FT) and have been pleasantly surprised, except for tri-link I still think it's dangerously weak,just my experience.
About a month ago I ordered a 25' roll of farmertech chain and honestly its built better than most chains I find in big box stores? The Archer chains price doesn't match the quality of their tooling so although its decent it's cost prohibitive now.
Thanks for the input Czed.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With no electricity or cordless tools on site
Do you fling the blades or take a hammer and chisel them?
Ahh hell I was just giving you a hard time. For fun man. In that event I bring my generator. Considering I work with wood quite a bit I often forget I have a few tools that some don’t have laying around. Flinging the blades doesn’t do much. If I was gonna use a hammer and chisel Well I’d just grab a chainsaw and a tri link chain and cut the boards off. I won’t break your balls anymore. Just making a joke at your expense. If you ever have a situation when electric is near. Frued or dewalt regular blades do very very well. On a standard circular saw. The actual demolition blades are not worth the extra money. I’ve tried them.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The actual demolition blades are not worth the extra money. I’ve tried them.
I volunteer with some storm clean up groups, where the tree debris is often mixed with building debris, and you sometimes have to go through with a reciprocating saw / Sawzall before the chainsaw, to clear out studs, roofing, particle board / plywood, wires, roofing, etc. I recall one event where I kept the same 'carbide, nail cutting, demolition' blade going for 3 days, and at least a dozen of battery changes, cutting through that stuff, including many nails and metal roofing. I would definitely buy that blade again for that use. Can't comment on the circular saw equivalents.

'Standard' wood-cutting, recip blades I have used for cutting tree roots in dirt, but consider those to be disposable (like utility knife blades) at about a buck a piece on sale.

Philbert

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I volunteer with some storm clean up groups, where the tree debris is often mixed with building debris, and you sometimes have to go through with a reciprocating saw / Sawzall before the chainsaw, to clear out studs, roofing, particle board / plywood, wires, roofing, etc. I recall one event where I kept the same 'carbide, nail cutting, demolition' blade going for 3 days, and at least a dozen of battery changes, cutting through that stuff, including many nails and metal roofing. I would definitely buy that blade again for that use. Can't comment on the circular saw equivalents.

'Standard' wood-cutting, recip blades I have used for cutting tree roots in dirt, but consider those to be disposable (like utility knife blades) at about a buck a piece on sale.

Philbert
By any chance do you recall the name brand??? I’d love to pick some up. I use plenty of them too.

thing with circular saw blades that I mentioned. They are already carbide tipped. The ones with “more better” carbide are honestly not better. Seems like once the carbide chips it doesn’t matter if there is more. Cutting is still compromised. My sawzall blades are typically metal cutting varieties. No carbide just good blades. I’d like to try some if you can recall which ones held up. If they fail for me so be it. I’d like to try them

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They were either Freud/Diablo or Milwaukee Ax. Both brands have many different varieties, so read the labels carefully. Not cheap: probably about $10 each, depending on length, packaging, etc.

Philbert

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So where the link to ebay chain:confundio:

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20210324_111434.jpg
Set up a couple of 372s with the generic chain
I cut a few minutes it cut ok
like any out of the box chain.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
37.11 per loop after tax for stihl chisel at my local dealer's
They were out of stockIMG_20210323_133851.jpg
IMG_20210320_152017.jpg
Rural king has fancy china chain in gift boxes.

Catman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check out Southwestchains on eBay for good chain prices.6ACBD3D4-2EC2-46A7-B3F2-A4844B57973B.png

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
!!! Looks about $10 more than what we see around here for retail prices on both chains!!!

Philbert
The stihl dealer occasionally has buy one get one at 50% off
So that's about 55.00 for two stihl 84dl chains at the current pricing after taxes.
Bridgeport equipment doesn't offer this as far as I know.
I know someone will say buy from an online retailer
But I'll never see stihl chains as three times better than the china stuff.
Keep in mind I ran stihl chains mostly for 30+ year's and I still have some I like them.
Better than any other actually.
I get good service for my 10/11.00 loops
To suit my cutting.
And I've supplied several firewood seller's
With the upstart and they won't buy anything else now.
I'm on vacation next week I'll run the generic a lot.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran a tank this morning with this 266
Running the generic IMG_20210325_112613.jpgIMG_20210325_112559.jpg
Hasn't stretched any
Still sharp.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am just surprised, because my STIHL dealer does not discount, and I don’t recall paying that much for chains. Maybe prices have increased?

I frequently and informally “shop“ the ‘house brand’ chains at home centers, and farm stores, which are usually priced close to the Oregon brand chains.

Oregon and Carlton brand chains are frequently on sale, at different sites, and can be a good deal, if you watch and take advantage of those sales.

One local retailer (‘Menards’) has really good prices on Oregon chain, if you are satisfied with the basic styles. A spinner / breaker set makes a lot of those loops fit!

Because I scavenge and recondition used chains, I am probably set for a while!

Philbert

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am just surprised, because my STIHL dealer does not discount, and I don’t recall paying that much for chains. Maybe prices have increased?

I frequently and informally “shop“ the ‘house brand’ chains at home centers, and farm stores, which are usually priced close to the Oregon brand chains.

Oregon and Carlton brand chains are frequently on sale, at different sites, and can be a good deal, if you watch and take advantage of those sales.

One local retailer (‘Menards’) has really good prices on Oregon chain, if you are satisfied with the basic styles. A spinner / breaker set makes a lot of those loops fit!

Because I scavenge and recondition used chains, I am probably set for a while!

Philbert
Have you ran any Carlton recent? I got some that has tri link tie straps??? I used to always buy Carlton in the old style box. Loved it. Wondering if something changed.