Country flag

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
7:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought it looks similar to the FT brand which isn't terrible. I just don't like how the top of the drive links stick up farther than the tie straps.
That semi chisel did fine
IMG_20220722_152110251_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20220722_151346323_HDR.jpg
It cut as any out of the box chain does
I only had to adjust it once cutting all this hickory and maple.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man, I read this whole thread hoping Czed and Wilhelm were going to really go at it...Dang.
What's in it for me!? ;)

Use whatever You convince Yourself works best for You!
Not everyone will agree with it and that's fine.

Cheers :beer-toast1:

Last edited:

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ordered 2 of the 98dl for the 30" on my Homelite.
I got 8 of the 84dl full chisel
Locally Stihl is near 40.00 a loop here and Oregon is around 30.00
The shops are charging 15.00 to sharpen chains now
I only charge 5.00
But when I test saws the chains are always trash
I'll throw a fresh loop on to test and if they want they can get the chain back with the saw.

bertfixessome

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't cut much wood unless a tree falls down like the 150' monteray pine that missed the worksop by 8" or the 75' river rad gum ( very hard hard wood ) that I am currently turning into fire wood
However as a mower tech I do sharpen around 100 or so chains for customers a year .
Some unbranded chains seem OK but I have seen way too many that have worn the side plate holes oval after the first use to ever consider buying one.
In fact just this week I tossed a customer out who became abusive because I would not sharpen his $ 10 chains that were so worn you could loop it sideways and the ends touched , almost new never been sharpened & total trash . And funny enough the Stihl shop would not sharpen it either.
We were both a-holes according to him trying to force him to buy our "overpriced chain ".
If it broke and took a chunk out of his leg I am sure he would be back with his lawyers in no time flat .
I look at it this way
A quality chain loop is around $ 50 ( aus )
A made up loop is about $ 40 for Oregon & $ 30 for Carlton & $ 25 for Stens
A cheap chain is $ 5
An ambulance from here to the nearest hospital is $ 800
Taxi fare back home is $ 65
So is this worth it for a saving of $ 45 ,
No Way
If I want a lot of chain then I make some from my reels .
I have 8 saws mostly Stihls ranging from an 080s and 090 running 20" & 24" bars with 3/8 chain a brace of McCullochs with 16" & 18" down to an 110Av & 021 with 10" bars we use for clearing under the fences & cutting christmas trees .
As far as unbranded anything.
If I am making a quality product then I put a name on it because I want everyone to know I make good stuff so I can expand & sell more stuff.
If I make trash then I will not put any name on it in the hope that no one will remember where they got the trash from .
And this goes for everything that I buy

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't cut much wood unless a tree falls down like the 150' monteray pine that missed the worksop by 8" or the 75' river rad gum ( very hard hard wood ) that I am currently turning into fire wood
However as a mower tech I do sharpen around 100 or so chains for customers a year .
Some unbranded chains seem OK but I have seen way too many that have worn the side plate holes oval after the first use to ever consider buying one.
In fact just this week I tossed a customer out who became abusive because I would not sharpen his $ 10 chains that were so worn you could loop it sideways and the ends touched , almost new never been sharpened & total trash . And funny enough the Stihl shop would not sharpen it either.
We were both a-holes according to him trying to force him to buy our "overpriced chain ".
If it broke and took a chunk out of his leg I am sure he would be back with his lawyers in no time flat .
I look at it this way
A quality chain loop is around $ 50 ( aus )
A made up loop is about $ 40 for Oregon & $ 30 for Carlton & $ 25 for Stens
A cheap chain is $ 5
An ambulance from here to the nearest hospital is $ 800
Taxi fare back home is $ 65
So is this worth it for a saving of $ 45 ,
No Way
If I want a lot of chain then I make some from my reels .
I have 8 saws mostly Stihls ranging from an 080s and 090 running 20" & 24" bars with 3/8 chain a brace of McCullochs with 16" & 18" down to an 110Av & 021 with 10" bars we use for clearing under the fences & cutting christmas trees .
As far as unbranded anything.
If I am making a quality product then I put a name on it because I want everyone to know I make good stuff so I can expand & sell more stuff.
If I make trash then I will not put any name on it in the hope that no one will remember where they got the trash from .
And this goes for everything that I buy
no failure's yet I have 20-30 different china chains running on ported 70+cc saws
And I supplied 50+ upstart chains to a firewood seller here
To each his own but I simply cannot see how Stihl or Oregon is worth 3 times the value of the cheap stuff I've cut a lot with it and overall I'd put it against Oregon for hardness and durability
I have many Stihl, Oregon,Carlton,Windsor,tilton chains over the past 30+ years of cutting
they're all been great but I won't pay stupid prices for them
Oddly I have gotten in broken Oregon and Stihl chains over the past few year's I don't know what that's about.